Connecting with Other Physics Enthusiasts: Join the Conversation!

• Thread starter Driffill
  • Start date
In summary, connecting with other physics enthusiasts is a great way to expand your knowledge and engage in stimulating conversations. By joining online communities, attending events and conferences, and participating in physics-related forums, you can connect with like-minded individuals and exchange ideas, theories, and discoveries. This can lead to new insights, collaborations, and a deeper understanding and appreciation for the field of physics. Don't miss out on the opportunity to join the conversation and connect with other passionate physics enthusiasts.
Driffill
Hello to everyone..

I’m Andrew, I’ve been browsing on here for a few weeks now and figured I’d sign up and see how it goes.

I’m not currently studying, and to be bluntly honest, I failed my final year of high school and only ever ‘stuided’ Via the university of YouTube ever since. Understanderbly, I’m expecting to have very little influence on this forum..

Now to be serious for a moment, I’m somewhat of a physics enthusiast who is struggling to find people to chat with in regards to some of the aspects of physics that I’ve been learning about (mostly from YouTube videos). As you might imagine, if developed a theory of my own (don’t worry, not going to post/ask Q’s about it here) and in my search to find someone to discuss my ideas, it was suggested I sign up on here and see what comes of it..

I’m still not to sure how I should go about presenting my thoughts, I’m aware forums like this would be inundated with theories from people such as myself, so another ‘I have a theory’ thread (even if allowed) probably won’t be given much attention, not to mention after a couple weeks of browsing posts on here, I still can’t work out the best category to present my idea, it touches on so many aspects of physics making it hard to categorise...

At this point, I think my best option is in the fiction section haha, perhaps in the form of some thought-inspiring sci-fi short story (though, I’ve never been good at writing stories)...

Anyway, aside from all that, I’m looking forward to chatting with you all and hopefully learning enough to know if any of my thoughts are actually correct...

For those who made it this far, I thank you for your time
Andrew D

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welome to PF. And thank you for being sensitive to our guidelines that do not allow personal theories.

However, we do have https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/writing-and-world-building.220/
where you might be able to use your ideas to help SF authors even if you don't write SF yourself.

But on the other PF forums there is much to learn, and the quality is much better than Youtube. I hope you take advantage of them. We also have homework help forums.

Driffill said:
I’m somewhat of a physics enthusiast who is struggling to find people to chat with in regards to some of the aspects of physics that I’ve been learning about (mostly from YouTube videos).
Welcome to the PF. The PF is a *much* better place to learn about science than YouTube. Please take some time to read some of the many interesting threads here, to help you in your learning. Note that in some forums there is a prefix before each thread title:
  • B = Beginner (high school level)
  • I = Intermediate (undergraduate university level)
  • A = Advanced (graduate school / post-graduate level)
Start out with the B/I threads, and when you are ready to get blown away, browse some of the A threads. :smile:

Likes Driffill
Just to say - If you have a theory - you should be able to research the topic online somewhere other than youtube. On the basic topics and concepts Wikipedia is a far better source. Youtube videos are promoted based on views - so controversial content ( often very wrong or outside of proper review process) is what will come up in your feed.

I would also suggest MITs open courseware.

These are topics that people study for years - a few youtube videos will not be effective. Even the "good" ones often have invalid or misleading info - even if unintentionally. You will see highly respected instructors make mistakes, and they per their professional obligation, will make a correction or insert a comment.

So learn and feel free to ask questions. If you have a theory try to disprove your self with the many online resources.

Likes Driffill and berkeman
Hi and welcome. In some respect, being curious is more important than being educated! I hope you learn and most important, have fun here while doing so ;)

Likes Driffill and berkeman
Thank you all for the welcoming replies,

I did forget to mention, I am from Melbourne Australia (so if any other members are local to me and would like to discuss my ideas and potentially teach me a thing or two please feel free to contact me)..

I feel I may have undersold myself in my previous post (however I’d prefer that then to come off as arrogant in my abilities), but for those of you like myself who prefer documented evidence, I do have my results from a WISC3 you can look over.

I’ve signed up on here after a good ~2 years of frustratingly trying to find anything I can that resembles the theory I developed, the closest I have found would be something along the lines of the KK theory however all my research into that theory suggests it’s based as a way to unify EM and gravity, where as I’ve had a different thought process that has led me to very similar ‘coincidences’ to aspects of the KK theory..

At this point I wish to make it clear that I totally understand that I am most likely incorrect, or that I’ve simply misunderstood something (I mean my theory does have some far-out implications) but in my quest to further learn ‘where I have gone wrong’ I have been unable to find anything that sounds remotely close to what I’ve come up with, let alone to describe how it’s either been disproved or already accounted for..

The frustrating part comes from not exactly being able to even post the idea on a forum filled with those smart enough to be able to comprehend my idea, but also correct it..

In the few years I’ve been sitting on this idea so far, I’ve had a few tries at discussing it with people who should have been able to comprehend the idea, but seemingly had objections to aspects before having actually comprehended key components, and while I expected that, still no one has been able to offer evidence that my idea cannot be correct. I don’t take that to be an indication I’m right..

.. but more as an indication that i need to find ‘smarter’ people to review my idea (well that, and that I also need to work massively on my ability to express the idea concisely for people to be able to understand)..

.. and here I am today ;)

Go ahead and start a private conversation with me. I'll see if I can steer you in the right direction. (click on my avatar to start a new conversation)

This introductory thread is now closed.

Related to Connecting with Other Physics Enthusiasts: Join the Conversation!

What is the purpose of "Connecting with Other Physics Enthusiasts: Join the Conversation!"?

The purpose of "Connecting with Other Physics Enthusiasts: Join the Conversation!" is to provide a platform for physicists and physics enthusiasts to connect and engage in discussions, share ideas and knowledge, and build a community of like-minded individuals.

Who can join the conversation?

Anyone with an interest in physics can join the conversation! Whether you are a professional physicist, a student, or simply someone who is curious about the subject, you are welcome to join and contribute to the discussions.

What topics can be discussed in this platform?

Any topic related to physics can be discussed in this platform. This includes but is not limited to current research and developments in the field, theories and concepts, practical applications, and even philosophical discussions about the nature of the universe.

How can I join the conversation?

You can join the conversation by creating an account on the platform and actively participating in the discussions. You can also follow other members, like and comment on their posts, and start your own discussions.

What are the benefits of joining this community?

By joining this community, you can expand your knowledge and understanding of physics, connect with like-minded individuals, and engage in meaningful discussions that can lead to new insights and ideas. You can also network with professionals in the field and potentially find opportunities for collaboration and career advancement.