Conjugate Relief in Gears/ Transmission Error

In summary, transmission error is a measure of the deviation of the driven gear from its theoretical position, but it is not physically intuitive how it can induce noise or vibrations. Conjugate relief in gears refers to the contact pattern of the gear teeth and is used to optimize contact for minimal wear, noise, and vibration by plotting the position of the contact point on a gear tooth as it rotates. The roll angle is the angle at which the contact point is measured.
bugatti79
Folks,

1) Transmission Error: I understand it is the deviation of the driven gear from its theoretical position based on the driving gear moving with uniform angular velocity. Ie it is a measure of the where the driven gear actually is compared to where it should be...but I don't understand how this would induce noise or vibrations...the tooth pair are always in contact so there wouldn't be any vibration

I don't find it physically intuitive...

2)Could anyone explain to me (or provide sources of information) to what is conjugate relief in gears in the context of micro geometry analysis? Ie, I am looking at a graph of conjugate relief as a function of roll angle...

Engineering news on Phys.org
what does this mean?Conjugate relief in gears refers to the contact pattern of the gear teeth. It is calculated by plotting the position of the contact point on a gear tooth as it rotates, and then connecting the points to form a relief line. This relief line describes the shape of the contact between two meshing gears, and is used to optimize the contact for minimum wear, noise, and vibration. The roll angle is the angle at which the contact point is measured.

Related to Conjugate Relief in Gears/ Transmission Error

1. What is conjugate relief in gears?

Conjugate relief in gears is a design feature that involves modifying the shape of the gear teeth to ensure proper contact and smooth operation between meshing gears. It is also known as profile modification or crowning, and it is used to reduce transmission error and minimize noise and vibration.

2. How does conjugate relief affect gear performance?

Conjugate relief can improve the load-carrying capacity and efficiency of gears by reducing sliding friction and wear. It also helps to distribute the load evenly across the gear teeth, minimizing stress concentrations and increasing the overall durability of the gear system.

3. What is transmission error in gears?

Transmission error is the deviation between the actual motion of a gear and the ideal motion that would be expected without any errors. It is caused by imperfections in gear manufacturing, such as variations in tooth profile or pitch, and can result in noise, vibration, and decreased efficiency.

4. How is conjugate relief calculated?

Conjugate relief is typically calculated using computer-aided design (CAD) software, which can simulate the meshing of gears and calculate the transmission error. The amount of relief needed depends on the gear size, tooth profile, and other design parameters, and it is usually determined through iterative testing and optimization.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using conjugate relief in gears?

While conjugate relief can improve gear performance, it can also increase the complexity and cost of gear production. The gear teeth must be machined with precision to achieve the desired relief, which can be more time-consuming and expensive. Additionally, the relief may need to be adjusted for different operating conditions, making it more difficult to manufacture and maintain the gears.