Confusion with formulas for wavefunctions

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem with finding the solution to a 2D problem using different formulas. The person is confused as to which formula to use and how to incorporate the y-component. It is mentioned that there are solutions for the 1D and 3D problems, but the person is still unsure about the 2D problem. It is then suggested that the 2D problem can be solved by separating the wave function into two parts, one for x and one for y.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

I am working on this problem:
upload_2017-4-1_16-21-29.png

The formula I am given in my notes is:
upload_2017-4-1_16-26-42.png

I found a website which explains this problem, and they give this formula:
upload_2017-4-1_16-27-8.png

But then, their answer is:
upload_2017-4-1_16-27-48.png

And I don't see how they went from sqrt(8) to 2 on the numerator. I am confused which formula to use where.
I am confused as to which formula I should use... my notes don't make any difference between L1, L2 and L3, but then it doesn't matter in this case in the end.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have found a solution for the 3D problem. Yours is the 2D problem, which is slightly different.

PeroK said:
You have found a solution for the 3D problem. Yours is the 2D problem, which is slightly different.
The solution I found was supposed to be for the exact same problem I am working on. In this case do I use the formula from my notes ? Or there is a completely different one that I am forgetting ?

PeroK said:
Could I use this one:
upload_2017-4-1_16-52-6.png

and then add the y-component somehow ?

Cocoleia said:
Could I use this one:

You've found the 1D solution and the 3D solution. I think you are supposed to solve the 2D problem for yourself!

Cocoleia said:
Could I use this one:
View attachment 115925

Yes, your problem in 2- or 3 dimension is separable. That, is the wave function for the 2-dimensional problem can be written as a product of two wave functions, one depending on ##x## and the other on ##y##.

Related to Confusion with formulas for wavefunctions

1. What is a wavefunction?

A wavefunction is a mathematical function that describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain position or state. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

2. How do I calculate a wavefunction?

The calculation of a wavefunction depends on the specific system and the type of wavefunction being used. In general, it involves solving the Schrödinger equation using mathematical techniques such as integration, differential equations, and boundary conditions.

3. What are the different types of wavefunctions?

There are several types of wavefunctions, including plane waves, Gaussian wave packets, and spherical harmonics. Each type has its own mathematical form and is used to describe different physical systems.

4. How do I interpret wavefunctions?

Wavefunctions are complex mathematical functions and do not have a direct physical interpretation. However, the square of the wavefunction, known as the probability density, can be interpreted as the probability of finding a particle in a certain state or position.

5. How do wavefunctions relate to energy levels?

In quantum mechanics, energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. The wavefunction of a particle can be used to calculate the allowed energy levels of that particle in a particular system.