Confusion Regarding Most Probable Kinetic Energy of an Ideal gas

In summary, the question is seeking the most probable kinetic energy of an ideal gas molecule, which can be found using the equation v=sqrt(2RT/M). However, there may be confusion between the most probable velocity and the most probable value of v^2, as they are not the same. The standard solution involves differentiating the probability distribution equation to find the maximum, while a different approach may lead to a different result.
Sunil Simha

Homework Statement

Find the most probable kinetic energy of an ideal gas molecule.

Homework Equations

v=sqrt(2RT/M)
where v= most probable velocity
k= Boltzmann's constant
T= temperature of the system
M= molar mass of the gas

Maxwell's formula of probability distribution of kinetic energy

The Attempt at a Solution

The standard solution, as prescribed by many textbooks and reference materials, involves differentiation of the probability distribution equation w.r.t. kinetic energy to find the maximum and hence showing that the most probable kinetic energy is kT/2. This seems logical and I assume it is correct.

But my doubt arises due to a different approach that I employed. Instead of differentiating the probability distribution equation if I simply plug in the value of most probable velocity in the equation for kinetic energy (mv^2/)2 then my answer turns out to be kT. I'm confused as isn't it logical to assume that the molecules with most probable velocity have the most probable kinetic energy. Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The most probable value of v is not the most probable value of v^2. This is an unintuitive mathematical property, and can be seen for other nonlinear functions as well.

Related to Confusion Regarding Most Probable Kinetic Energy of an Ideal gas

1. What is the most probable kinetic energy of an ideal gas?

The most probable kinetic energy of an ideal gas is the energy that is most likely to be possessed by each molecule in the gas at a given temperature. It is the energy that corresponds to the peak of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution curve for the gas.

2. How is the most probable kinetic energy of an ideal gas determined?

The most probable kinetic energy of an ideal gas can be determined using the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution equation, which takes into account the gas's temperature and molecular mass. The peak of the resulting curve represents the most probable kinetic energy.

3. How does the most probable kinetic energy of an ideal gas compare to the average kinetic energy?

The most probable kinetic energy of an ideal gas is typically lower than the average kinetic energy. This is because the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution curve is skewed towards lower energy values, with a longer tail towards higher energies.

4. Does the most probable kinetic energy of an ideal gas change with temperature?

Yes, the most probable kinetic energy of an ideal gas increases as the temperature increases. This is because higher temperatures result in a wider distribution of energies among the gas molecules, with more molecules having higher kinetic energies.

5. How does the most probable kinetic energy of an ideal gas relate to the concept of "ideal" gases?

The most probable kinetic energy is a characteristic of "ideal" gases, which are hypothetical gases that follow the ideal gas law. This law states that at a given temperature, pressure, and volume, the average kinetic energy of the gas molecules is directly proportional to the gas's temperature. The most probable kinetic energy is a measure of this average kinetic energy.