Confusion on the concept of point of rotation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of rotational motion and the relationship between moment of inertia and center of mass. It suggests using the parallel axis theorem to calculate moment of inertia for different axes and choosing the axis of rotation at the point of contact with the road for a rolling object to simplify torque calculations.
Gourab_chill
Homework Statement
I had a bit of confusion on the point of rotation of rolling bodies. When a body rolls, we apply the formula τ = Iα. But in order to compute the moment of inertia we need to know the point of rotation of the object. If the object rolls about it's bottom most point then we need to add a extra {MR}^{2} for most rolling bodies. So please explain how to determine the point of rotation for rolling bodies.
Relevant Equations
τ = Iα
--no explanation as conceptual error--

Physics news on Phys.org
##\Gamma = I \alpha ## will hold true for any axis of rotation you choose, even one that isn’t inside the rotating body. The inertia I can be constructed for whichever axis you choose. In fact, you can calculate I for the center of the cylinder and then use that to find I about some other axis by the parallel axis theorem.

So the question is which axis should you choose for evaluating the motion? For a rolling object there is a force of constraint. The rolling friction will be whatever magnitude force is required to prevent slipping. Since you don’t know how big the force of friction might be, putting the axis of rotation at the point of contact with the road will get that unknown out of your torque calculations.

Likes Lnewqban and Gourab_chill

Related to Confusion on the concept of point of rotation

1. What is the point of rotation?

The point of rotation is the fixed point around which an object rotates or moves. It is also known as the center of rotation or axis of rotation.

2. How is the point of rotation determined?

The point of rotation can be determined by identifying the fixed point or axis around which an object rotates. This can be done by observing the motion of the object or by using mathematical calculations.

3. Can the point of rotation change?

Yes, the point of rotation can change depending on the motion of the object. For example, if an object is rotating around a fixed point, the point of rotation will remain the same. However, if the object is moving in a straight line, the point of rotation will change as the object moves.

4. How does the point of rotation affect an object's motion?

The point of rotation plays a crucial role in determining an object's motion. It determines the direction and speed of the object's rotation or movement. The distance between the point of rotation and the object also affects its motion.

5. Can an object have multiple points of rotation?

Yes, an object can have multiple points of rotation if it is composed of multiple rotating parts. Each part may have its own point of rotation, and the overall motion of the object will be a combination of these rotations.