Confusing Error in Should-Be-Simple Integration Problem

In summary, the problem is to find the value of k that makes the area between the function y = 4e^(x/5) and the x-axis, bounded by x = 1 and x = k, equal to 100 square units. The solution involves setting up the definite integral and using the anti-differentiation method to obtain 20e^(x/5). After making substitutions and solving for k, it is realized that there was an error in the math and the correct answer is k = 5*ln(5 + e^(1/5)).
Wormaldson

Homework Statement

Find k such that the area between the function and the x-axis, bounded by x = 1 and x = k, is equal to 100 square units.

Homework Equations

y = 4e^(x/5)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Wrote the problem as the definite integral from 1 to k of 4e^(x/5)dx = 100.

2. Antidifferentiated to obtain 20e^(x/5).

3. Made substitutions into F(b) - F(a) = 100 to obtain 20e^(k/5) - 20e^(1/5) = 100.

4. Solved for k and got k = 5*ln(5) + 1.

5. At that point I thought I had it all figured out, but when I did 20e^((5*ln(5) + 1)/5) - 20e^(1/5) to check I get 97.7122207 as the result. What am I doing wrong here? Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your math going from step 3 to step 4. You should be getting a slightly different result for k.

Righto, found out what I was doing wrong: I somehow forgot that logs don't distribute over multiplication. How silly of me.

k = 5*ln(5 + e^(1/5))

Edit: Thanks for the help.

Related to Confusing Error in Should-Be-Simple Integration Problem

What is a "confusing error" in a "should-be-simple" integration problem?

A "confusing error" in a "should-be-simple" integration problem refers to an unexpected or unclear error that occurs during the process of integrating different systems or components. This error can cause confusion and frustration for the scientist trying to integrate the systems.

Why do "should-be-simple" integration problems occur?

"Should-be-simple" integration problems can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as incompatible systems or components, incorrect data formats, or human error. These issues can make the integration process more complex and lead to unexpected errors.

How can I troubleshoot a "confusing error" in a "should-be-simple" integration problem?

To troubleshoot a "confusing error" in a "should-be-simple" integration problem, it is important to carefully review the error message and any relevant documentation or guidelines. It may also be helpful to consult with other experts or reach out to the support team for the systems or components being integrated.

What are some common strategies for preventing "should-be-simple" integration problems?

One common strategy for preventing "should-be-simple" integration problems is to thoroughly test the systems or components before attempting to integrate them. It is also important to ensure that all systems and components are compatible and that data formats are consistent. Proper documentation and communication between all parties involved in the integration can also help prevent errors.

Are there any tools or resources available to help with "should-be-simple" integration problems?

Yes, there are various tools and resources available to help with "should-be-simple" integration problems. These include software testing tools, compatibility checkers, and online forums or support teams for specific systems or components. It may also be helpful to consult with other scientists or experts in the field for advice and guidance.