Conformal Mapping of Strip -1 < Im(z) < 1

In summary, the image of the strip $\{z: -1 < \text{Im} \ z < 1\}$ under the map $z\mapsto\dfrac{z}{z + i}$ can be found by setting $w = u+iv$ and using the equation $\dfrac{z}{z+i} = \dfrac{iw}{1-w}$. Then, the real part of $\dfrac{iw}{1-w}$ is $\dfrac{u(1-u)-v^2}{(1-u)^2+v^2}$. The desired region is outside of the circles of radius 1/4 centered at $\left(1,\pm\frac{1}{2}\right
Dustinsfl
Describe the image of the strip $\{z: -1 < \text{Im} \ z < 1\}$ under the map $z\mapsto\dfrac{z}{z + i}$

So I know that $-\infty < x < \infty$ and $-1 < y < 1$.

Then
$$
\frac{x + yi}{x + i(y + 1)}
$$

Now if I take the the line y = -1, I have
$$
\frac{x-i}{x}
$$

Then find out what happens when y = 1.
Is this the correct way to do this type of problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Describe the image of the strip $\{z: -1 < \text{Im} \ z < 1\}$ under the map $z\mapsto\dfrac{z}{z + i}$

So I know that $-\infty < x < \infty$ and $-1 < y < 1$.

Then
$$
\frac{x + yi}{x + i(y + 1)}
$$

Now if I take the the line y = -1, I have
$$
\frac{x-i}{x}
$$

Then find out what happens when y = 1.
Is this the correct way to do this type of problem?

I don't know if it's the only way to do this problem, but it's the way I would do it.

you can't choose that line for two reasons it is not in the strip which you are trying to map, second it had the denominator zero which is (0,-1)
think about the x-axis y=0
we will have [tex]\frac{x}{x+i} = \frac{x(x-i)}{x^2+1} = \frac{x^2}{x^2+1} - \frac{xi}{x^2+1} [/tex] for all real numbers
the real part it is between (0,1)
I do not know if that help but i think that is the only way you take take some points and see where they will go

dwsmith said:
If $w = \dfrac z{z+i}$ then $z = \dfrac{iw}{1-w}$. So we want to find conditions on $w$ to ensure that $-1 < \text{Re}\,\dfrac w{1-w} < 1.$

Let $w = u+iv$. Then $$\frac w{1-w} = \frac{u+iv}{1-u-iv} = \frac{(u+iv)(1-u+iv)}{(1-u-iv)(1-u+iv)}.$$ The real part of that is $$\frac{u(1-u)-v^2}{(1-u)^2+v^2}.$$ You need to find the region in which that fraction lies between –1 and +1.

[sp]I make the answer to be the region outside the circle of radius 1/4 centred at $w=3/4$, and to the left of the vertical line through $w=1$.[/sp]

Opalg said:
If $w = \dfrac z{z+i}$ then $z = \dfrac{iw}{1-w}$. So we want to find conditions on $w$ to ensure that $-1 < \text{Re}\,\dfrac w{1-w} < 1.$

Let $w = u+iv$. Then $$\frac w{1-w} = \frac{u+iv}{1-u-iv} = \frac{(u+iv)(1-u+iv)}{(1-u-iv)(1-u+iv)}.$$ The real part of that is $$\frac{u(1-u)-v^2}{(1-u)^2+v^2}.$$ You need to find the region in which that fraction lies between –1 and +1.

[sp]I make the answer to be the region outside the circle of radius 1/4 centred at $w=3/4$, and to the left of the vertical line through $w=1$.[/sp]
I think you lost your i in the numerator. $iw = ui - v$

So I have
$$
\frac{-v+i(u-u^2-v^2)}{(1-u)^2+v}
$$
So for
$$
-1<\frac{-v}{(1-u)^2+v}\Leftrightarrow \frac{1}{4}<\left(v-\frac{1}{2}\right)^2+(1-u)^2
$$
and for
$$
1<\frac{-v}{(1-u)^2+v}\Leftrightarrow \frac{1}{4}<\left(v+\frac{1}{2}\right)^2+(1-u)^2
$$

So it is the two regions outside of the the circles of radius 1/4 centered at $\left(1,\pm\frac{1}{2}\right)$

Last edited:
dwsmith said:
I think you lost your i in the numerator.
I don't think so. The problem asked for the image of the strip $\{z: -1 < \text{Im} \, z < 1\}$. Instead of taking the imaginary part of $z$, I took the real part of $iz$, which amounts to the same thing.

Opalg said:
I don't think so. The problem asked for the image of the strip $\{z: -1 < \text{Im} \, z < 1\}$. Instead of taking the imaginary part of $z$, I took the real part of $iz$, which amounts to the same thing.

Since you multiplied z by i, should we have had $\dfrac{-w}{1-w}$ then too?

I have the $u<1$ and $\frac{1}{16}<\left(u-\frac{3}{4}\right)^2+v^2$. I don't see how you obtained the radius to be 1/4.

Related to Conformal Mapping of Strip -1 < Im(z) < 1

1. What is the purpose of conformal mapping of a strip with -1 < Im(z) < 1?

Conformal mapping is used to transform a complex function into a simpler form, making it easier to analyze and understand. In the case of a strip with -1 < Im(z) < 1, conformal mapping can help to visualize and analyze the behavior of functions within this specific region of the complex plane.

2. How does conformal mapping preserve angles?

Conformal mapping preserves angles by maintaining the same angle between any two curves at a given point. This means that the orientation of the curves is not changed, only their shape and size. Thus, conformal mapping is useful for studying the behavior of curves in a particular region of the complex plane.

3. Can conformal mapping be used to study functions outside of the specified strip?

Yes, conformal mapping can be used to study functions outside of the specified strip. However, it is important to note that the behavior of the function may be different outside of this region due to the nature of conformal mapping.

4. What is the relationship between conformal mapping and complex analysis?

Conformal mapping is a fundamental tool in complex analysis, as it allows for the transformation of complex functions into simpler forms that can be easily studied and analyzed. Complex analysis also plays a crucial role in understanding the properties and behavior of conformal mappings.

5. Are there any limitations to conformal mapping of a strip with -1 < Im(z) < 1?

Yes, there are limitations to conformal mapping of a strip with -1 < Im(z) < 1. This method is most effective for studying functions with simple poles or zeros within the specified strip. If the function has more complicated singularities, the results obtained from conformal mapping may not be accurate.