Conformal Mapping of Aerofoil at incidence

In summary, the conversation is about the conformal mapping of an aerofoil at incidence and whether it uses the Joukowski transformation or something else. One person believes it is the Joukowski transformation, which uses complex numbers and relates to a complex transformation. Another person shares a link to a website discussing the topic and mentions having trouble with their program when adding incidence.
PhysicsIsFun
Does anyone know what the conformal mapping of an aerofoil at incidence is?
Does it use the Joukowski transformation? Or something else..

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't remember this for sure but I believe it IS the Joukowski transformation. The trans. uses complex numbers with the circle and all that and conformal relates to a complex trans. and I don't remember studying other uses for it, so I'm probably right but don't shoot me if I'm not. :wink:

Hmm thanks guys for the confirmation. I believed it to be:
w=z*exp(-i*alpha)+(exp(i*alpha)*b**2/z)
as it says but my program still doesn't work. It can plot zero incidence fine but then goes crazy and makes weird sausage things when I add incidence... oh well I'll sleep on it maybe

Related to Conformal Mapping of Aerofoil at incidence

What is conformal mapping in relation to aerofoils?

Conformal mapping is a mathematical technique used to transform a complex shape into a simpler shape while preserving angles and shapes. In the case of aerofoils, this technique is used to map the cross-section of the wing onto a simpler shape, such as a circle or an ellipse, to simplify calculations and analysis.

Why is conformal mapping important for aerofoil design?

Conformal mapping allows for the accurate prediction of aerodynamic properties, such as lift and drag, at different angles of incidence. This is crucial for designing efficient and stable aerofoils, as it helps engineers understand the flow of air over the wing and make necessary adjustments to improve performance.

What are the limitations of conformal mapping for aerofoil analysis?

Conformal mapping assumes that the flow of air over the aerofoil is two-dimensional, which is not always the case in real-world scenarios. It also does not take into account factors such as turbulence and compressibility, which can affect the aerodynamic properties of the aerofoil.

How is conformal mapping of aerofoils at incidence performed?

The process of conformal mapping involves using complex mathematical equations and computer software to transform the aerofoil cross-section onto a simpler shape. This is typically done by dividing the aerofoil into small elements and applying the transformation to each element individually.

What are the practical applications of conformal mapping in aerofoil design?

Conformal mapping is used in the design and analysis of a variety of aerofoils, from small aircraft wings to large wind turbine blades. It is also used in the development of computer simulations and models for predicting the aerodynamic behavior of aerofoils in different conditions.