Conditions for a function to be constant

In summary, a constant function is a type of mathematical function where the output is always the same for every input. Its conditions are that the output must be consistent for all inputs, meaning it has a fixed value that does not change. A constant function can only have one output, and its domain is all real numbers while its range is a single value. You can determine if a graph represents a constant function by looking for a horizontal line, as this indicates that the output remains the same for all inputs.
V0ODO0CH1LD

Homework Statement

If a, b and c are nonzero distinct real numbers and c > 0. The even function given by:

f(x) = (ax + b)/(x + c)

is constant for -c < x < c and it's value is

(i) a + b; (ii) a + c; (iii) c; (iv) b; (v) a

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so first I solved for x but got two different answers because the function is even:

x = (b - f(x)c)/(f(x) - a) and x = (b - f(x)c)/(a - f(x))

Then I wanted to check the conditions on f(x) for -c < x < c:

-c < (b - f(x)c)/(f(x) - a)

But I don't know how to proceed, because I want to divide both sides by (f(x) - a) and I don't know if it's a negative number or not. What should I do here? How does the information given in the problem statement help me at this point? Am I taking a wrong approach at this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the function is constant, you cannot solve for x - by definition, all x-values give the same f(x).

With arbitrary a,b,c, the function will not be constant - you can use the information "function is constant" to find a relation between those parameters. If you can use derivatives, they can give you that relation (hint: what is the derivative of a constant function?). Alternatively, consider x=0 and x=c/2 or similar values. f(x) has to be the same for both x-values.

If you have that relation and use it in your definition of f(x), you'll get the result.

You get a relation among a,b,c from the condition that the function is even, that is f(x)=f(-x).

ehild

Also, does x < y > z imply z < x < y?

EDIT: I mean if x < y and y is a variable; does that imply that x is less than the smallest value y can take on?

I have that if x > 4 than 2 < (x^2)/2 - 6 so if y < (x^2)/2 - 6 does that mean y < 2?

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
4 < 6 > 5
But not 5 < 4 < 6.

EDIT: I mean if x < y and y is a variable; does that imply that x is less than the smallest value y can take on?
That does not make sense.

I have that if x > 4 than 2 < (x^2)/2 - 6 so if y < (x^2)/2 - 6 does that mean y < 2?
No, unless you have "y < (x^2)/2 - 6 for all x>4"

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
You shouldn't write stuff like x < y > z. Do you mean x < y AND y > z?

The notation a < b < c is shorthand for a < b AND b < c, and means that b lies between a and c.

Mark44 said:
You shouldn't write stuff like x < y > z. Do you mean x < y AND y > z?

The notation a < b < c is shorthand for a < b AND b < c, and means that b lies between a and c.

Okay. So if I have to prove something like: if x > 4 and y < 2 then x^2 - 2y > 12.

Can I say that the statement also implies that if x^2 - 2y > 12 then x > 4 and y < 2? Or that if x^2 - 2y > 12 and x > 4 then y < 2? Maybe I can prove all that but is that implied in the original statement? If not, how can I prove or disprove something like that?

@V0ODO0CH1LD: Is that related to your original question in any way?

if x > 4 and y < 2 then x^2 - 2y > 12
That is true as x^2 - 2y > 16 - 2*2 = 12

Can I say that the statement also implies that if x^2 - 2y > 12 then x > 4 and y < 2?
x=0, y=-7 is a counterexample.

Or that if x^2 - 2y > 12 and x > 4 then y < 2?
That statement is true as x^2-2y < 16-2y, and 16-2y > 12 implies y < 2. But you cannot conclude it from the original statement alone."if x > 4 and y < 2 then x^2 - 2y > 12"
directly implies
"if not x^2 - 2y > 12, then (not x>4) or (not y<2)"
which can be re-written as
"if x^2-2y <= 12, then x<=4 or y>=2"
and nothing else.

mfb said:
@V0ODO0CH1LD: Is that related to your original question in any way?

Yeah, I was just using something else to better exemplify what I was having trouble with. But thanks, you really helped out! Just one thing; is that method you used to prove that if x > 4 and y < 2 then x^2 - 2y > 12 always valid?

Which method? "Using inequalities"? If you do it right, you can always use them.

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
Yeah, I was just using something else to better exemplify what I was having trouble with. But thanks, you really helped out! Just one thing; is that method you used to prove that if x > 4 and y < 2 then x^2 - 2y > 12 always valid?
As mfb said, it's just properties of inequalities.

If x > 4 and y < 2, then x2 > 16 and 2y < 4 ##\Leftrightarrow## 2y + 12 < 16
Hence x2 > 2y + 12, or equivalently, x2 - 2y > 12.

Related to Conditions for a function to be constant

1. What is a constant function?

A constant function is a type of mathematical function where the output (or value) is the same for every input (or independent variable). In other words, the function always returns the same value regardless of the input.

2. What are the conditions for a function to be constant?

The conditions for a function to be constant are that the output (or value) must be the same for every input (or independent variable). This means that the function must have a fixed value that does not change regardless of the input.

3. Can a constant function have multiple outputs?

No, a constant function can only have one output regardless of the input. This is because the definition of a constant function is that the output is the same for every input.

4. What is the domain and range of a constant function?

The domain of a constant function is all real numbers since the input can be any value and the output remains the same. The range of a constant function is a single value, which is the constant value that the function outputs for every input.

5. How can you tell if a graph represents a constant function?

If the graph of a function is a horizontal line, then it represents a constant function. This is because a horizontal line has the same y-value (or output) for every x-value (or input), which is the definition of a constant function.