Conditional Probabilities problem

In summary, a survey of readers found that 60% read magazine A, 50% read magazine B, and 50% read magazine C. Additionally, 30% read both A and B, 20% read both B and C, 30% read both A and C, and 10% read all three magazines. Using conditional probability, the probability of a reader reading exactly two magazines is 50%. This can also be easily solved using a Venn diagram.
technial
1. Homework Statement ******* SOLVED *********

There are three magazines A,B and C respectively. A survey of readers was taken and the following data was collected.

0.6 Read A
0.5 Read B
0.5 Read C
0.3 Read A&B
0.2 Read B&C
0.3 Read A&C
0.1 Read A&B&C

What is the probability that a reader reads two magazines exactly?

Homework Equations

P(R|Q) = P(Q n R) / P(Q) = probability of R given Q. where R,Q are events.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted this by just using logic. I thought that readers who read A&B,B&C,A&C but not all three magazines would be the solution: giving a probability of 0.5 which I believe is correct.

I assume conditional probability is meant to be used in the solution but I am unable to see how the sums fit. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is easy to solve by the Venn diagram.

ehild

thanks ehild, that's pretty much how I did it. I thought there was more to it, I was looking for unicorns and finding donkeys.
Cheers,
a.

Related to Conditional Probabilities problem

1. What is a conditional probability problem?

A conditional probability problem is a type of probability problem where the likelihood of an event occurring is dependent on another event or condition. It involves calculating the probability of an event given that another event has already occurred or is known to be true.

2. What is the formula for calculating conditional probabilities?

The formula for calculating conditional probabilities is P(A|B) = P(A and B)/P(B), where P(A|B) represents the probability of event A occurring given that event B has already occurred.

3. How is a conditional probability different from a regular probability?

A regular probability is the likelihood of an event occurring without any additional information. On the other hand, a conditional probability takes into account another event or condition that may affect the likelihood of the first event occurring.

4. What are some real-world examples of conditional probability problems?

Some real-world examples of conditional probability problems include calculating the probability of getting a disease given a positive test result, the likelihood of a flight being delayed given the weather conditions, and the probability of a student passing a test given their attendance record.

5. How can conditional probabilities be used in decision making?

Conditional probabilities can be used in decision making by providing a more accurate understanding of the likelihood of an event occurring. This information can help individuals or organizations make more informed decisions and mitigate potential risks.