Concept Of Linear Momentum and definition of Force

In summary: Please can anyone give examples and explain the momentum concept?In summary, Newton introduced the concept of "Force" as a cause for an effect, where an applied force can change an object's velocity and cause acceleration. This concept is derived from the law of inertia, originally stated by Galileo and restated by Newton. Momentum is a conserved property of motion, allowing for the calculation of velocity vectors after collisions based on mass and velocity prior to collision. Linear momentum is a measure of the duration and force of a push, and is expressed as mass times velocity. It is unclear how Newton obtained the second law from the momentum concept. Examples of momentum can be seen in collisions, where kinetic energy is not conserved but momentum is
physio
I understood that Newton has introduced a concept called "Force" which is basically a cause for an effect i.e. if an object is in a state of rest and if applied a "force" then the object moves (change in velocity, ∴ accelerates) also if an object moves with a constant velocity and is disturbed then an acceleration is produced for the same reason as above. Thus a force is a cause and a change in velocity is an effect. This, based upon my understanding, is deduced from the law of inertia (given by Galileo and simply restated by Newton)!

What I don't follow is that:-
1) JUST WHAT IS THE CONCEPT OF LINEAR MOMENTUM?!

2) Why is momentum expressed as mass TIMES velocity?

3) How did Newton obtain the second law from the momentum concept?

Please can anyone give examples and explain the momentum concept?

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is a property of motion that is conserved during interactions of free bodies. This fact allows us to calculate velocity vectors after colliding bodies separate, based on their masses and velocity vectors prior to collision^. During most such collisions kinetic energy is not conserved; so it's handy that momentun is.

^or viceversa

physio said:
I understood that Newton has introduced a concept called "Force" which is basically a cause for an effect i.e. if an object is in a state of rest and if applied a "force" then the object moves (change in velocity, ∴ accelerates) also if an object moves with a constant velocity and is disturbed then an acceleration is produced for the same reason as above. Thus a force is a cause and a change in velocity is an effect. This, based upon my understanding, is deduced from the law of inertia (given by Galileo and simply restated by Newton)!

I would say that a push is a cause of a velocity change. A pull works just as well.

What I don't follow is that:-
1) JUST WHAT IS THE CONCEPT OF LINEAR MOMENTUM?!

One thing that linear momentum is, is a number that describes a push. If you measure the duration of a push and the force of the push, and multiply those, you get the linear momentum.

2) Why is momentum expressed as mass TIMES velocity?

Mass times velocity is an useful number to know, we have named it momentum.

3) How did Newton obtain the second law from the momentum concept?

I have no idea

Related to Concept Of Linear Momentum and definition of Force

1. What is the concept of linear momentum?

The concept of linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion and its resistance to changes in motion. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity, and is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

2. How is linear momentum different from force?

Linear momentum and force are related but distinct concepts. While linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion, force is a measure of the interaction between objects that causes changes in motion. Force is also a vector quantity, but it is defined as the product of an object's mass and its acceleration.

3. What are the units for linear momentum and force?

The units for linear momentum are kg*m/s, and the units for force are kg*m/s^2 or Newtons (N). These units can also be written as joules per second (J/s) for linear momentum and joules (J) for force.

4. How is linear momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total linear momentum remains constant, meaning it is conserved. This is because in a closed system, there are no external forces acting on the objects within the system, so the total momentum cannot change. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

5. How is the concept of linear momentum applied in real life?

The concept of linear momentum has many real-life applications, such as in sports (e.g. the velocity of a baseball after being hit by a bat), transportation (e.g. calculating the momentum of a car to determine its stopping distance), and engineering (e.g. designing structures to withstand forces and maintain stability).