Computing the action for a particle in a gravitational field

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of classical action S for a particle of mass m in a gravitational field U = -\alpha/r. The formula for classical action is given by S = \int_{t_i}^{t_f} L(q,\dot q,t) dt, where L is defined as L = \frac 12 m \dot{\mathbf{r}}^2 + \frac{\alpha}{r}. The challenge lies in performing the integration, as it requires deriving expressions for \mathbf{r} and r as functions of t. However, the last expression given is exactly what the problem or examiner asked for.
AxiomOfChoice
A friend of mine told me he fielded this at an oral exam: "Compute the classical action [itex]S[/itex] for a particle of mass [itex]m[/itex] in a gravitational field [itex]U = -\alpha/r[/itex]." I know the formula for the classical action is given by

[tex]
S = \int_{t_i}^{t_f} L(q,\dot q,t) dt,
[/tex]

and that for a particle in a gravitational field, we have

[tex]
L = \frac 12 m \dot{\mathbf{r}}^2 + \frac{\alpha}{r}
[/tex]

(where, of course, [itex]|\mathbf{r}| = r[/itex]) so that

[tex]
S = \int_{t_i}^{t_f} \left( \frac 12 m \dot{\mathbf{r}(t)}^2 + \frac{\alpha}{r(t)} \right) dt.
[/tex]

But how in the WORLD am I supposed to perform this integration? Am I supposed to derive expressions for [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] and [itex]r[/itex] as functions of [itex]t[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow...well, I guess I don't feel so bad about not having been able to do this now!

You don't know who r(t) is, so you can't compute the integral, can you ? I think your last expression is exactly what the problem/examinator asked for. So A^+, huh ? :D

Related to Computing the action for a particle in a gravitational field

1. What is the action for a particle in a gravitational field?

The action for a particle in a gravitational field is a mathematical quantity that describes the behavior of a particle under the influence of gravity. It is given by the integral of the Lagrangian, which takes into account the kinetic and potential energy of the particle.

2. How is the action calculated for a particle in a gravitational field?

The action is calculated by integrating the Lagrangian over the path of the particle. This involves considering the position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle at each point along the path.

3. What is the significance of computing the action for a particle in a gravitational field?

Computing the action allows us to determine the equations of motion for the particle, which describe how it moves in response to the gravitational field. This is important for understanding the behavior of objects in the presence of gravity.

4. Can the action be calculated for any gravitational field?

Yes, the action can be calculated for any gravitational field, as long as the Lagrangian for that field is known. This includes both Newtonian gravity and Einstein's theory of general relativity.

5. How is the action related to other physical quantities in the theory of gravity?

The action is related to other important quantities in the theory of gravity, such as the Hamiltonian and the equations of motion. It is also related to the principle of least action, which states that the actual path of a particle is the one that minimizes the action.