Computer simulation of seismic waves

In summary, Peter is working in Papua New Guinea where there is a lot of seismic activity. He's interested in using MS Excel to simulate seismic waves, and is looking for advice on programming languages and software that would be best for this purpose. Dave provided some helpful links about the New Britain earthquake.
Peter Jackson
Hello, I am working in Papua New Guinea where there is a great deal of seismic activity. I am interested in using MS Excel for simulation of SHM due to seismic waves. To investigate the how frequency and wavelength of the waves affects buildings. Does anyone have any experience of this type of simulation?

Science news on Phys.org
Hahahaha, Excel, that is a good one!

Stay away from that terrible program.

To answer your question: You are better off going with something like python, matlab, scilab, or octave to do your programming. Also, if you are doing this on a home PC, you will be restricted to 1-D or a mediocre 2D simulation. There is a reason why people buy time at NASA to run simulations.

Peter Jackson said:
Hello, I am working in Papua New Guinea where there is a great deal of seismic activity. I am interested in using MS Excel for simulation of SHM due to seismic waves. To investigate the how frequency and wavelength of the waves affects buildings. Does anyone have any experience of this type of simulation?

HI Peter,

cannot help you directly with your query
This was more of an interest comment in that I do seismology from home and am into quake recording. You guys have really been getting shaken up over recent weeks
where are you located ... in New Britain ?

for comments and info on the New Britain events see my threads at ...
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/big-quake-now.811574/

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/major-quake-in-eastern-new-britain-png-now.812212/
regards
Dave

Hi Dave
I am in the capital Port Moresby, so we don't really experience earthquakes here. New Britain is an area of major seismic activity.

I am working in a school and would like students to use the evaluate the variables (speed, acceleration, energy) with respect to damage done. New Britain area is not heavily populated and houses are wood; so the damage is nothing like Nepal has suffered.

Thanks for the links
Peter

Likes davenn

Related to Computer simulation of seismic waves

1. What is computer simulation of seismic waves?

Computer simulation of seismic waves is a method used by scientists to accurately model and predict the behavior of seismic waves in the Earth's crust. It involves using advanced computer software to simulate the physical processes that occur during an earthquake, such as the propagation of seismic waves through different types of rocks and soils.

2. How does computer simulation of seismic waves work?

This process involves inputting data about the earthquake, such as its magnitude, location, and depth, into the computer software. The software then uses complex mathematical equations and algorithms to simulate the behavior of seismic waves, taking into account factors such as the Earth's topography and the properties of different types of rocks and soils.

3. What are the benefits of using computer simulation of seismic waves?

One of the main benefits is that it allows scientists to study and understand the behavior of seismic waves in a controlled and repeatable environment. This can provide valuable insights into how earthquakes occur and how they may affect different regions. Additionally, computer simulation can also help in the development of more accurate earthquake prediction and early warning systems.

4. How accurate are computer simulations of seismic waves?

The accuracy of computer simulations depends on the quality of the input data and the complexity of the earthquake being simulated. In general, these simulations have been shown to accurately predict the behavior of seismic waves in real-world scenarios, but there is always room for improvement as new data and techniques become available.

5. What role do computer simulations play in earthquake research and mitigation?

Computer simulations are an essential tool in earthquake research and mitigation efforts. They allow scientists to better understand the behavior of seismic waves and how they may affect different structures and environments. This information can then be used to improve building codes and design structures that are more resistant to earthquakes, ultimately helping to save lives and reduce damage in the event of a seismic event.