Computer Science vs. CDS (Computing for Scientists)?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a 2nd year physics student should take CS classes or the course Computing for Scientists. The benefits of programming for research and industry are mentioned, but the usefulness of the specific course is uncertain. The Computing for Scientists course covers topics such as scientific presentations, data analysis, and communication tools and is deemed useful by the college's website. Ultimately, the student decides to stick with the course.
kkefalas
I'll be a 2nd year physics student next year, and my question is should I start taking some CS classes or take CDS (Computing for Scientists)? I've heard programming is very useful for someone trying to get into research or industry, but Computing for Scientists looks obviously useful as well.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I feel as though the later will require programming skills, which in my humble opinion can be obtained without taking a course. It may be easier to pace things out but I'm a decent programmer and I've never taken a course.

What topics does your Computing for Scientists course cover? I don't think they're standardized as much as, say, first year intro physics, so it's hard to say how useful a particular course is, just from the title.

jtbell said:
What topics does your Computing for Scientists course cover? I don't think they're standardized as much as, say, first year intro physics, so it's hard to say how useful a particular course is, just from the title.

From the college's website:
"Covers use of computers to solve practical scientific problems. Topics include creating effective scientific presentations, analysis of experimental data, online literature, data/information ethics, scientific modeling, and communication/collaboration tools. Designed to equip students with the knowledge and confidence they need to use future hardware and software systems both as a student and throughout their scientific career."
sounds very useful I think I may stick with it

Related to Computer Science vs. CDS (Computing for Scientists)?

What is the difference between Computer Science and CDS (Computing for Scientists)?

Computer Science is a broad field that focuses on the study of computers and computational systems, including their theory, design, development, and application. CDS, or Computing for Scientists, is a specific subset of Computer Science that is tailored towards scientists and researchers who use computers for their work.

Do I need a strong background in computer science to understand CDS?

No, you do not need a strong background in computer science to understand CDS. While some basic knowledge of computer science concepts may be helpful, CDS courses are designed to be accessible to scientists with varying levels of technical expertise.

What are some common applications of CDS?

CDS is commonly used in scientific research, data analysis, and computational modeling. It can also be utilized in fields such as bioinformatics, physics, chemistry, and engineering.

Is CDS only relevant for scientists in specific fields?

No, CDS can be beneficial for scientists in a variety of fields, as it provides tools and techniques for data analysis and computational modeling that can be applied to different research areas.

What skills can I expect to gain from studying CDS?

Studying CDS can help you develop skills in programming, data analysis, and computational problem-solving. You may also learn about specific software and tools commonly used in scientific research.