Computer 5V or 0V output to Sensaphone Express II

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a LabView controlled alarm system in a lab, where an alarm condition triggers a USB DAQ analog output signal. The signal is then sent to a sensaphone express II alarm box, which interprets 5V as an open and 0V as a short. The issue is that the USB DAQ only has 5 analog outputs and the user is looking for a way to have more without spending a lot of money. Suggestions for an inexpensive USB or PCI DAQ with similar functionality are discussed, as well as the possibility of achieving the same effect using a computer, possibly through USB or RS232. The conversation also mentions Phidgets as a potential solution, with a recommendation for their
ColdNM
I'm using a LabView controlled alarm system in my lab where an alarm condition triggers a USB DAQ analog output signal to switch from +5V to 0V. This signal is going to a sensaphone express II alarm box normally open relay input. The normally open relay input sees 5V as an open (no alarm condition) and 0V as a short (alarm). My problem is the my USB DAQ only has 5 analog output and I would like to have more. I don't want to spend a lot of money. Any suggestions on an inexpensive USB DAQ or PCI DAQ with similar functionality but more channels? Or better yet a way to get a similar effect straight out of the computer? Maybe USB? RS232?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you just want to control an external relay Phidgets has several USB boards you can use:

http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?category=9"

I've used the Servo Controllers and RFID boards and they are remarkably easy to interface to from C# and VB. They have Labview support, but I haven't tried it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds perfect! Thanks!

If you need a lot of outputs like the Express II but are looking for a rack mountable http://www.surewarning.com" I'd check out Absolute Automation. They have the IMS-4000 which is expandable and rack mountable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Computer 5V or 0V output to Sensaphone Express II

What is the purpose of the 5V or 0V output on the Sensaphone Express II?

The 5V or 0V output on the Sensaphone Express II is used to trigger external devices such as alarms or sirens when certain conditions are met. This allows for immediate notification and action in case of emergencies or critical events.

How does the 5V or 0V output on the Sensaphone Express II work?

The 5V or 0V output on the Sensaphone Express II is controlled by a relay, which is activated by the Sensaphone unit based on user-defined alarm settings. When an alarm is triggered, the relay will switch to either 5V or 0V, depending on the configuration, and send a signal to the connected external device.

Can the 5V or 0V output on the Sensaphone Express II be customized?

Yes, the 5V or 0V output on the Sensaphone Express II can be customized to meet the specific needs of the user. This can include setting the output voltage, configuring the alarm settings, and selecting the conditions that will trigger the output.

What are some common uses for the 5V or 0V output on the Sensaphone Express II?

The 5V or 0V output on the Sensaphone Express II is commonly used in applications where immediate action is required in case of critical events. This can include monitoring temperature, humidity, power outages, and other environmental conditions in industrial, commercial, and residential settings.

Are there any precautions to take when using the 5V or 0V output on the Sensaphone Express II?

It is important to ensure that the external devices connected to the 5V or 0V output are compatible with the voltage and current requirements. The Sensaphone Express II user manual should be consulted for specific recommendations and precautions.