Compressible Flow Homework: Show Particles in Cube Occupying Volume e at t=1

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the question is asking to show that for a flow with velocity vector v = xi, the particles in the flow will have position vectors of the form r(t) = c1eti + c2j + c3k. This can be shown using the vector divergence formula, which states that for an incompressible fluid, the divergence of the velocity vector is equal to zero. The question also asks to show that the particles that start at the corners of a cube with faces at x = 0, x = 1, y = 0, y = 1, z = 0, z = 1 will occupy a volume of e at t = 1. This means that the particles will
geft

Homework Statement

Consider the flow with velocity vector v = xi.
Show that the individual particles have the position vectors r(t) = c1eti + c2j + c3k with constant c1, c2, c3.
Show that the particles that at t = 0 are in the cube whose faces are portions of the planes x = 0, x = 1, y = 0, y = 1, z = 0, z = 1 occupy at t = 1 the volume e.

Homework Equations

Vector divergence formula regarding the condition of incompressibility, which is div v = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what the question is asking. I only know that divergence explains the direction and magnitude of a vector field, as well as how to work it out. I also don't understand the notations describing the cube.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please clarify?
Thank you for your post. It seems like you are having difficulty understanding the question and the notation used. Let me try to explain it in a simpler way.

The question is asking you to show that for a flow with velocity vector v = xi, the particles in the flow will have position vectors of the form r(t) = c1eti + c2j + c3k, where c1, c2, and c3 are constants. This means that the position of each particle in the flow can be described by this equation, where t is time.

To show this, you can use the vector divergence formula, which states that for an incompressible fluid (a fluid with no change in density), the divergence of the velocity vector is equal to zero. In this case, since the velocity vector is v = xi, the divergence of v is simply ∂x/∂x = 1. This means that the fluid is incompressible.

Next, the question asks you to show that the particles that start at the corners of a cube with faces at x = 0, x = 1, y = 0, y = 1, z = 0, z = 1 will occupy a volume of e at t = 1. This means that the particles will move along the flow and form a volume of e at t = 1.

I hope this helps clarify the question and how to approach it. Let me know if you need further assistance. Good luck with your work!

Related to Compressible Flow Homework: Show Particles in Cube Occupying Volume e at t=1

1. What is compressible flow?

Compressible flow is a type of fluid flow where the density of the fluid changes significantly due to changes in pressure, temperature, or velocity. This type of flow is commonly seen in gases, where the density can change significantly with changes in pressure or temperature.

2. What is the purpose of the "Show Particles in Cube Occupying Volume e at t=1" homework?

The purpose of this homework is to demonstrate the behavior of compressible flow in a simulated scenario. By showing the movement and distribution of particles in a cube at a specific time, it helps to visualize and understand the characteristics of compressible flow.

3. How are particles represented in the cube for this homework?

In this homework, particles are represented as small dots or spheres within the cube. The density and velocity of the particles can be adjusted to simulate different types of compressible flow.

4. What is the significance of the time t=1 in this homework?

The time t=1 represents a specific moment in time in the simulation. It allows us to observe the behavior of the particles and understand how they move and interact with each other under different conditions.

5. What are some real-life applications of compressible flow?

Compressible flow has many practical applications, including in the design and analysis of aircrafts and rockets, gas pipelines, wind turbines, and internal combustion engines. It is also important in the study of weather patterns and atmospheric phenomena.