Component of a vector along another vector.

In summary, a component of a vector is a part of the vector that is parallel to a specific direction or axis. It can be calculated by taking the dot product of the vector and the unit vector in the desired direction and then multiplying it by the magnitude of the unit vector. This is significant in various fields, such as physics and engineering, as it allows for easier analysis and understanding of a vector's direction and magnitude. A vector can have multiple components in different directions, which can be added together to get the original vector. The component of a vector along another vector is a scalar value that represents a part of the vector in the direction of the other vector, while the magnitude of the vector is a vector quantity that represents the overall length of
Hijaz Aslam

Homework Statement

Given ##\vec{A}=2\hat{i}+3\hat{j}## and ##\vec{B}=\hat{i}+\hat{j}##.Find the component of ##\vec{A}## along ##\vec{B}##.

Homework Equations

##\vec{A}.\vec{B}=ABcosθ## where θ is the angle between both the vectors.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted the question as follows:
Let the angle between ##\vec{A}## and ##\vec{B}## be 'θ'. So the component of ##\vec{A}## along ##\vec{B}## is given by ##Acosθ\hat{B}## => ##Acosθ(\frac{\vec{B}}{B})##

As ##\vec{A}.\vec{B}=ABcosθ## => ##[( 2\hat{i}+3\hat{j})(\hat{i}+\hat{j})]/B=Acosθ## => ##\frac{5}{\sqrt{2}}=Acosθ##

Therefore the component is : ##\frac{5}{\sqrt{2}}(\frac{\hat{i}+\hat{j}}{\sqrt{2}})## => ##\frac{5}{2}({\hat{i}+\hat{j}})##

But my text produces the solution as follows:
##A_B=(\vec{A}.\vec{B})\hat{B}=\frac{5}{\sqrt{2}}(\hat{i}+\hat{j})##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hijaz Aslam said:
Therefore the component is : ##\frac{5}{\sqrt{2}}(\frac{\hat{i}+\hat{j}}{\sqrt{2}})## => ##\frac{5}{2}({\hat{i}+\hat{j}})##

##A_B=(\vec{A}.\vec{B})\hat{B}=\frac{5}{\sqrt{2}}(\hat{i}+\hat{j})##.

I usually see this process broken down into basis components.
That is ##\hat B =\sqrt{2}/2 \hat i + \sqrt{2}/2 \hat j. ##
Then the component is ##A\cdot \hat B_i \hat i + A\cdot \hat B_j \hat j ##.
Somewhere in your process, you divided by the magnitude of B twice.

Hijaz Aslam said:
AB=(A⃗ .B⃗ )B^=52√(i^+j^)A_B=(\vec{A}.\vec{B})\hat{B}=\frac{5}{\sqrt{2}}(\hat{i}+\hat{j}).

You're right and the book is wrong. The book answer as well as the formula for AB they use.
The length of your answer is smaller than the length of A as it should be. The book answer is larger.
The projection of A on B should only depend on the direction of B, not the magnitude. The formula used for AB in the book does depend on the magnitude of B.

Book is wrong . We can verify this by standard euclidean geometry easily because by the definition of cosine, it will be cos(θ)=(component of A along B)/A hence Acos(θ)=(component of A along B). And we have to multiply this by the unit vector of B to get the required result.

Related to Component of a vector along another vector.

1. What is a component of a vector?

A component of a vector is a part of the vector that is parallel to a specific direction or axis. It can be thought of as the "shadow" of the vector on that direction.

2. How is the component of a vector calculated?

The component of a vector can be calculated by taking the dot product of the vector and the unit vector in the desired direction. The dot product is then multiplied by the magnitude of the unit vector to get the component.

3. What is the significance of finding the component of a vector?

Finding the component of a vector is useful in many applications, such as physics and engineering. It allows us to break down a vector into its individual parts, making it easier to analyze and understand its direction and magnitude.

4. Can a vector have multiple components?

Yes, a vector can have multiple components in different directions. These components can be added together to get the original vector.

5. How does the component of a vector along another vector differ from the magnitude of the vector?

The component of a vector along another vector is a part of the vector in the direction of the other vector, while the magnitude of the vector is the overall length of the vector. The component is a scalar value, while the magnitude is a vector quantity.