Complex Trigonometric Solutions

Those are the numbers you get when you take 1 and raise it to the seventh power. In summary, the task is to solve the polynomial x7=1 for all solutions, including complex solutions, using trigonometry and plot them on the unit circle with the x-axis as the real axis and the y-axis as the imaginary (complex) axis. The steps taken include using the identity Rcis to simplify the equation, finding the values of θ for which cos(θ)=1 and sin(θ)=0, and plotting the solutions as θ= (0 +2πn)/7 on the unit circle.
Bogrune

Homework Statement

2.) Solve
x7=1
I am to solve for all the solutions to this polynomial, including the complex solutions using trigonometry. I'm supposed to plot my solutions on the unit circle, with the x-axis being the real axis, and the y-axis being the imaginary (or complex) axis.

Homework Equations

I'm supposed to use the following Identities to solve the equation: Rcis, meaning: R (real) times cosine + i(complex) sine.
cisn(θ)=cis(nθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've numbered my steps taken in order:

x7=1
1.)(Rcisθ)7=1

2.)Rcis(θ)7=1

3.)cis7(θ)=1

4.)cis(7θ)=1

5.)cos(7θ) + isin(7θ)=1 + i0

5a.) cos(7θ)=1
7θ= cos-1(1)
7θ= 0 + 2πn

5b.) sin(7θ)=0
7θ= sin-1(0)

And that's where I got stuck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bogrune said:

I've numbered my steps taken in order:

x7=1
1.)(Rcisθ)7=1

2.)Rcis(θ)7=1

3.)cis7(θ)=1

Do you have a "relevant equation" that explains why you can get rid of the R. (I don't use the cis notation, myself, so I'm not sure what you are supposed to say)

4.)cis(7θ)=1

5.)cos(7θ) + isin(7θ)=1 + i0

5a.) cos(5θ)=1

it should say cos(7θ) , of course

7θ= cos-1(1)
7θ= 0 + 2πn

5b.) sin(7θ)=0
7θ= sin-1(θ)

It should say sin-1(0). (The solution won't add any new information because it will also imply that 7θ= 0 + 2πn

And that's where I got stuck.

Solve 7θ= 0 + 2πn for θ

Let n = 0,1,2... and you'll come back to where you started when n/7 = 1

I simply got rid of the "R" because it's not really a variable. I forgot to mention that "R" simply stands for "real", because of the fact that cosθ lies on the x-axis (or the real axis, in this case) and isinθ lies on the y (imaginary)-axis.
And sorry about the typos, I make those pretty often! ^^;
Solve 7θ= 0 + 2πn for θ

Let n = 0,1,2... and you'll come back to where you started when n/7 = 1
Oh, I think I see it now. So I plot those on the unit circle as θ= (0 +2πn)/7, and I get my final solution, right?

Though, thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Yes, that's right. You are plotting what are called "the seventh roots of unity". In the complex numbers, 1 has 2 square roots, 3 cube roots, 4 fourth roots, etc.

Related to Complex Trigonometric Solutions

1. What are complex trigonometric solutions?

Complex trigonometric solutions refer to the solutions of trigonometric equations that involve complex numbers. These solutions involve both real and imaginary components and are expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

2. How do you solve complex trigonometric equations?

To solve complex trigonometric equations, you can use the properties of complex numbers and the identities of trigonometric functions. You can also use the algebraic methods of substitution and elimination to simplify the equations and solve for the unknown variables.

3. Why do we need complex trigonometric solutions?

Complex trigonometric solutions are necessary in many applications of mathematics and science, such as in electrical engineering, physics, and signal processing. They allow us to accurately describe and analyze phenomena that involve complex numbers, such as alternating currents, electromagnetic waves, and quantum mechanics.

4. What is the difference between real and complex trigonometric solutions?

The main difference between real and complex trigonometric solutions is that real solutions involve only real numbers, while complex solutions involve both real and imaginary numbers. Real solutions can be graphed on a traditional x-y coordinate plane, while complex solutions require a complex plane with two axes, one for the real component and one for the imaginary component.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving complex trigonometric equations?

Yes, there are several special techniques for solving complex trigonometric equations, such as the use of De Moivre's theorem, Euler's formula, and the concept of polar form. These techniques allow for efficient and elegant solutions to complex trigonometric equations, especially those involving higher powers of trigonometric functions.