Complex Moment of Inertia Calculation

In summary, Kyle was trying to find the moment of inertia for a complex assembly of bodies, but was unsure of how to integrate variables into the equation. Solidworks helped him calculate the individual moments of inertia for a given part, and then use those variables to find the system's moment of inertia.
k2kyo

Homework Statement

I'm just looking for the proper equation to use to find the moment of inertia of a complex assembly of bodies. I'm not a student and this isn't homework, but it seemed the most relevant place to pose the question.

One of my hobbies is making toys and I'm trying to calculate the moment of inertia for a given section of an assembly as it relates to the whole system. All my parts are round, revolved around the same X-axis. The assembly is mirrored on either side of the Y-axis. Therefor, I know all the centers of mass are y = 0, and I can calculate all the x distances (dx in my drawing).. what I'm unsure of is how to relate that x distance into the moment of inertia formula so that I can know what each body is contributing to the whole.

Taking a section of the drawing.

Body 3)
Area = 146.27 mm^2
Mass = 20.12 grams
Volume = 15545.56 mm^3
Moment of Inertia of the single body (Ix) = 4416.93
d(x) = 12.53

Now using solidworks, I know the result..

Moment of Inertia for body 3 in relation to the whole system (Ixx) = 7576.69

But I don't know how it got there.. am I correct in assuming the variable is the distance x to the center of its mass? If so, how do I integrate that into the equation?

Drawing -
http://www.nothingtoseehere.info/Example_Problem1s.jpg

Homework Equations

This is the part I'm looking for :) I don't need any help working the equation, just a point in the direction of what I should use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can calculate the individual moment of inertia for a given part. What I'm trying to work out is a system where I could swap out body 3 or 4 for any other similar design, and recalculate the moment of inertia for the whole assembly without having to build a new assembly in solidworks. So if I can figure which formula to use, I can use the variables to calculate the Ixx for each section 3 or 4 I want to use, and swap those out.

I hope that makes sense, this problem has been driving me nuts. I use to do this type of stuff in college but I fear it's been too many years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Kyle

Physics news on Phys.org
I've deleted my reply as I was confused by which axis the object rotates around.

As a fellow scientist, I can understand your frustration with this complex moment of inertia calculation. This is a common challenge in engineering and physics, and there are many different equations that can be used depending on the specific system and geometry.

One approach that may be helpful in your situation is to use the parallel axis theorem, which allows you to calculate the moment of inertia of a body about a different axis by adding the moment of inertia about the center of mass and the product of the mass and the square of the distance between the two axes. In your case, you could use this theorem to calculate the moment of inertia of each individual body about the x-axis, and then add them together to get the total moment of inertia of the entire assembly.

Another useful equation for calculating moment of inertia is the perpendicular axis theorem, which allows you to calculate the moment of inertia of a 2D object rotating about an axis perpendicular to the plane of the object by using the moment of inertia about two other perpendicular axes. This may be helpful for calculating the moment of inertia of your mirrored assembly.

Ultimately, the best equation to use will depend on the specific geometry and configuration of your system, so it may be helpful to consult with a physics or engineering textbook or seek assistance from a colleague or professional in the field. Good luck with your project!

Related to Complex Moment of Inertia Calculation

1. What is the definition of moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotation around a specific axis. It is calculated by summing the products of each particle's mass and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated for a simple object?

For a simple object, such as a point mass or a uniform rod, the moment of inertia can be calculated using a specific formula based on the object's shape and mass distribution. These formulas can be found in most physics or engineering textbooks.

3. What is a complex moment of inertia?

A complex moment of inertia refers to the calculation of the moment of inertia for an object with a non-uniform mass distribution or a complex shape. This requires the use of integration or numerical methods to accurately determine the moment of inertia.

4. What factors affect the moment of inertia calculation for a complex object?

The moment of inertia for a complex object is affected by its mass distribution, shape, and the chosen axis of rotation. Additionally, external forces such as torque can also impact the moment of inertia calculation.

5. What are some applications of complex moment of inertia calculations?

Complex moment of inertia calculations are commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the stability and dynamics of rotating objects. They are also important in the design of various structures and machines, such as airplane wings, car engines, and industrial equipment.