Complex Analysis Review Question

In summary, to evaluate the improper integral $\int_{0}^{\infty} \dfrac{dx}{(x^2 +9)^3}$, we use residues to calculate the value of $\int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2 +9)^3}$. We make the passage to the complex plane and note that the denominator becomes $\frac{1}{(z^2 +9)^3} = \frac{1}{(z-3i)^3 (z+3i)^3}$, meaning there are two poles of order three at $z=3i$ and $z=-3i$. By evaluating the residue at $z
thatonekid
Use residues toe evaluate the improper integral

Use residues toe evaluate the improper integral
[FONT=MathJax_Main][FONT=MathJax_Main] [/FONT][/FONT]

$$\int_{0}^{\infty} \dfrac{dx}{(x^2 +9)^3}.$$

Explain all steps including convergence. No need to simplify the final answer.

I took this off a old mid-term that I was looking at, no solution is provided, wonder if anyone had any idea how to start this problem off. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My complex analysis skills are a bit rusty, but I'll try to see what I can do. As I remember, by residue methods you'll calculate the value of

$$\int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2 +9)^3}.$$

You will find the desired integral by noting that

$$\int_{0}^{+ \infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2 +9)^3} = \frac{1}{2} \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2 +9)^3}.$$

Making the passage to the complex plane, the denominator becomes

$$\frac{1}{(z^2 +9)^3} = \frac{1}{(z-3i)^3 (z+3i)^3}.$$

This means we have two poles of order three: one at $z=3i$ and the other at $z=-3i$. To find the residue you must evaluate only the pole at $z=3i$.

$$\lim_{z \to 3i} \frac{1}{2!} \frac{d^2}{dz^2} (z-3i)^3 f(z),$$

where

$$f(z) = \frac{1}{(z-3i)^3 (z+3i)^3}.$$

I've found that

$$\lim_{z \to 3i} \frac{1}{2!} \frac{d^2}{dz^2} (z-3i)^3 f(z) = \lim_{z \to 3i} \frac{6}{(z+3i)^5} = \frac{6}{7776i} = - \frac{i}{1296}.$$

Therefore

$$\int \frac{dz}{(z^2 +9)^3} = 2 \pi i \left[ \sum \mathcal{Res} \right] = 2 \pi i \left[ - \frac{i}{1296} \right] = \frac{\pi}{648}$$

and finally

$$\int_{0}^{+ \infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2 +9)^3} = \frac{1}{2} \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2 +9)^3} = \frac{1}{2} \cdot \frac{\pi}{648} = \frac{\pi}{1296}.$$

This gave me some trouble! (Speechless) Hope you get the general idea. Also, try to write out all your formulas in LaTeX. You can find the codes I used by right-clicking and choosing "Show Math As $\to$ TeX Commands". Do it in your http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f13/need-some-help-these-review-questions-complex-analysis-please-2590/ as well.

Fantini said:
My complex analysis skills are a bit rusty, but I'll try to see what I can do. As I remember, by residue methods you'll calculate the value of

$$\int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2 +9)^3}.$$

You will find the desired integral by noting that

$$\int_{0}^{+ \infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2 +9)^3} = \frac{1}{2} \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2 +9)^3}.$$

Making the passage to the complex plane, the denominator becomes

$$\frac{1}{(z^2 +9)^3} = \frac{1}{(z-3i)^3 (z+3i)^3}.$$

This means we have two poles of order three: one at $z=3i$ and the other at $z=-3i$. To find the residue you must evaluate only the pole at $z=3i$.

$$\lim_{z \to 3i} \frac{1}{2!} \frac{d^2}{dz^2} (z-3i)^3 f(z),$$

where

$$f(z) = \frac{1}{(z-3i)^3 (z+3i)^3}.$$

I've found that

$$\lim_{z \to 3i} \frac{1}{2!} \frac{d^2}{dz^2} (z-3i)^3 f(z) = \lim_{z \to 3i} \frac{6}{(z+3i)^5} = \frac{6}{7776i} = - \frac{i}{1296}.$$

Therefore

$$\int \frac{dz}{(z^2 +9)^3} = 2 \pi i \left[ \sum \mathcal{Res} \right] = 2 \pi i \left[ - \frac{i}{1296} \right] = \frac{\pi}{648}$$

and finally

$$\int_{0}^{+ \infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2 +9)^3} = \frac{1}{2} \int_{- \infty}^{+ \infty} \frac{dx}{(x^2 +9)^3} = \frac{1}{2} \cdot \frac{\pi}{648} = \frac{\pi}{1296}.$$

This gave me some trouble! (Speechless) Hope you get the general idea. Also, try to write out all your formulas in LaTeX. You can find the codes I used by right-clicking and choosing "Show Math As $\to$ TeX Commands". Do it in your http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f13/need-some-help-these-review-questions-complex-analysis-please-2590/ as well.

This is an ok response (incomplete), but it can be improved upon. There are a couple additional things that need to be addressed:

1. The contour the integration is being done over. In this case, I'd suggest going with the upper half circle of radius $R$, i.e. $\Gamma = [-R,R]\cup C_R$, where $C_R=\{Re^{i\theta}:\theta\in[0,\pi]\}$ is the arc of the upper half circle of radius $R$.

2. You need to show that $\left|\int_{C_R}f(z)\,dz\right|\rightarrow 0$ as $R\rightarrow \infty$.

These are important because after making the change from real variables to complex variables and applying the residue theorem, we have

\[2\pi i\sum\text{res}(f(z)) = \int_{\Gamma} f(z)\,dz = \int_{-R}^R\frac{\,dx}{(x^2+9)^3} + \int_{C_R}\frac{\,dz}{(z^2+9)^3}\]

Let us focus on

\[\left|\int_{C_R}\frac{\,dz}{(z^2+9)^3}\right|\]

We know that

\[\left|\int_C f(z)\,dz\right|\leq \ell(C)\max_{z\in C}|f(z)|\]

where $\ell(C)$ is the length of the contour. So in our case, we have that

\[\left|\int_{C_R}\frac{\,dz}{(z^2+9)^3}\right|\leq \pi R\max_{z\in C_R}\left|\frac{1}{(z^2+9)^3}\right|\]

Now, we note that

\[\left|\frac{1}{(z^2+9)^3}\right|=\left|\frac{1}{z^2+9}\right|^3\leq\frac{1}{\left||z|^2-9\right|^3}\]

Therefore,

\[\max_{z\in C_R}\left|\frac{1}{(z^2+9)^3}\right|\leq\max_{z\in C_R}\frac{1}{||z|^2-9|^3} = \frac{1}{(R^2-9)^3}\]

and we now see that as $R\rightarrow \infty$,

\[\pi R\max_{z\in C_R}\left|\frac{1}{(z^2+9)^3}\right|\leq \frac{\pi R}{(R^2-9)^3}\rightarrow 0.\]

Thus, as $R\rightarrow\infty$,

\[2\pi i\sum\text{res}(f(z)) = \int_{-R}^R\frac{\,dx}{(x^2+9)^3} + \int_{C_R}\frac{\,dz}{(z^2+9)^3}\rightarrow 2\pi i \sum\text{res}(f(z)) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\,dx}{(x^2+9)^3}\]

which is what we were after (modify this result to get the answer we really want).

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thank you Chris. If I can excuse myself for not including all those details, that is because I didn't learn how to do them. When I took my complex variable course the teacher didn't quite teach us how to do this contour integration, but rather that we should take the poles on the positive axis and that would be it. What followed is what you see in my post: doing the calculations. I'll keep this in mind in next complex analysis problems! (Nod)

Fantini said:
Thank you Chris. If I can excuse myself for not including all those details, that is because I didn't learn how to do them. When I took my complex variable course the teacher didn't quite teach us how to do this contour integration, but rather that we should take the poles on the positive axis and that would be it. What followed is what you see in my post: doing the calculations. I'll keep this in mind in next complex analysis problems! (Nod)

I didn't mean to call you out!

What you did there was correct; I was just filling in the missing details. And no worries about that; I didn't learn how to fill in the details for things like this until I took a graduate level course in complex analysis.

Chris L T521 said:
I didn't mean to call you out!

What you did there was correct; I was just filling in the missing details. And no worries about that; I didn't learn how to fill in the details for things like this until I took a graduate level course in complex analysis.
I didn't feel called out! I appreciate when someone fills in missing details / correct me. That way I learn more than if I had gotten the question "right" the first time. (Clapping) I hope I can do a graduate level course in complex analysis soon enough. I believe I will greatly enjoy it!

Related to Complex Analysis Review Question

1. What is Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers, which are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

2. What are some applications of Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, finance, and computer science. It is used to model and analyze systems with complex behavior, such as fluid dynamics, electrical circuits, and signal processing.

3. What are some key concepts in Complex Analysis?

Some key concepts in Complex Analysis include complex functions, Cauchy-Riemann equations, contour integration, Laurent series, and residue theorem. These concepts are used to study the properties and behavior of complex functions.

4. What are the main differences between Complex Analysis and Real Analysis?

The main difference between Complex Analysis and Real Analysis is in the number system being studied. Real Analysis deals with real numbers, while Complex Analysis deals with complex numbers. Additionally, the behavior of complex functions can be more complex and unpredictable compared to real functions.

5. How can I prepare for a Complex Analysis review question?

To prepare for a Complex Analysis review question, it is important to have a solid understanding of the key concepts and theorems in the subject. Practice solving problems and working through examples to build your skills and confidence. It can also be helpful to review notes and class materials, and to seek clarification or help from a tutor or professor if needed.