Comparing Gas Stoichiometry Approaches: Which One is Correct?

In summary, the conversation involves different approaches for solving problems using the universal gas formula, PV=nRT. One approach is to use molar volume for SATP and multiply it with the given volume, while the other approach is to use the given volume as is. The question is which approach is correct. There is also a question about the units of the final answer for the mass of helium. The conversation emphasizes the importance of checking units to ensure the correctness of the solution.
supernova1203
So iv solved all these problems, id just like someone to take a look at them and see which approach is right.

The question is in the attachment.

first approach is i use molar volume for SATP which is 24.76L and multiply 65L with it
and i get 1609.4L then i use this in the universal gas forumla(i think that's what its called)

PV=nRT

(100)(1609.4) = n(8.31)(298)

(100)(1609.4)/(8.31)(298) = n

second approach i use is where i just use the 65L of volume as is and put it in the equation, since they both are volumes, which one is the right way?

PV=nRT

(100)(65)=n(8.31)(298)
(100)(65)/(8.31)(298) = n

which approach is correct?

Attachments

• Lesson 20 question for PF.jpg
    Lesson 20 question for PF.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
Also another question here, in a 2nd attachment

v=7.5 L

t=25C or 298K

P=100Kpa

PV=nRT

(100)(7.5)=n(8.31)(298)

750/(8.31)(298) =n

750/2476.38 =nHe

0.302=nHe (helium)

mass = n X molar mass

=(0.302)(4)

=1.208

Is this in grams or Kg? the mass of helium?

Attachments

• Lesson 20 question for PF2.jpg
    Lesson 20 question for PF2.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 424
supernova1203 said:
first approach is i use molar volume for SATP which is 24.76L and multiply 65L with it and i get 1609.4L

No, you don't get 1609L, you get 1609L2 - whatever it means. Watch your units and you will see when your approach doesn't make sense.

supernova1203 said:
Is this in grams or Kg? the mass of helium?

Again, if you were watching your units answer would be obvious.

What are units of molar mass?

Borek said:
Again, if you were watching your units answer would be obvious.

What are units of molar mass?

g/mol?

Last edited:
Borek said:
No, you don't get 1609L, you get 1609L2 - whatever it means. Watch your units and you will see when your approach doesn't make sense.

so the first approach is what will get the correct solution?

supernova1203 said:
g/mol?

You havew to guess, you can't check?

supernova1203 said:
so the first approach is what will get the correct solution?

Only if the units make sense. Check if they do. What units should the final answer be in? What units your final answer has?

Last edited:
i did check but i wasnt sure, hence the question mark.

Related to Comparing Gas Stoichiometry Approaches: Which One is Correct?

What is gas stoichiometry?

Gas stoichiometry is the calculation of the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction involving gases. It involves using the principles of the ideal gas law and the mole concept to determine the amount of reactants needed and the amount of products produced.

How do you calculate the amount of gas produced in a reaction?

The amount of gas produced in a reaction can be determined using the ideal gas law, PV=nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is temperature. The number of moles can be determined using the mole ratio from the balanced chemical equation.

What is the difference between theoretical yield and actual yield?

Theoretical yield is the maximum amount of product that can be produced from a given amount of reactants, based on the stoichiometry of the reaction. Actual yield is the amount of product that is actually obtained from the reaction. The percent yield is calculated by dividing the actual yield by the theoretical yield and multiplying by 100%.

How does temperature and pressure affect gas stoichiometry calculations?

According to the ideal gas law, an increase in temperature or pressure will result in an increase in the volume of a gas. This means that the number of moles of gas will also increase, and therefore, the amount of product produced will also increase. Additionally, changes in temperature and pressure can affect the accuracy of gas volume measurements, which can affect the accuracy of gas stoichiometry calculations.

What are some common units used in gas stoichiometry calculations?

Some common units used in gas stoichiometry calculations include liters (L) for volume, moles (mol) for amount of substance, atmospheres (atm) for pressure, and Kelvin (K) for temperature. It is important to ensure that all units are consistent throughout the calculation to obtain accurate results.