Compactness of A: Proving it is a Subset of R

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that A, a set of numbers, is a compact subset of R. The proof involves using an open cover and showing that a finite subcover exists. The concept of convergence of a sequence is used to explain why there can only be a finite number of points not in the cover. The conversation also addresses some confusion and clarifies the reasoning behind the proof.
Buri
Let A = {0,1,1/2,1/3,...,1/n,...}. Prove that A is a compact subset of R.

Proof:

Let {U_i} be an open cover for A. Therefore, there must exist a U_0 such that 0 is in U_0. Now since, U_0 is open and 1/n converges to 0, there must be infinite number of points of A in U_0. Now by the well ordering principle U_0 must contain a largest element (Note that {k, k+1,...} has a least element implies {1/k,1/(k+1),...} has a largest element <== this is probably what I'm not 100% sure of about the largest element)...So the points 1/(m-1), ..., 1 will only need AT MOST m-1 more open sets to cover. Therefore, a finite sub cover of {U_i} exists.

Is this proof correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don' quite see why you invoked the well ordering principle here. If you take any open cover for A, 0 must be in at least one element of this cover, let's say in some U. Since 1/n converges to 0, U must contain all but a finite number of elements of this sequence. For every one of these elements, there must exist at least one set containing that element, so if you take the union of U and this finite collection of sets, you have found an open subcover of your original cover which is finite.

Hmm I see what you mean. Well my problem was that how do I really know that from some point on those elements are no longer in U. But I guess the convergence of 1/n basically covers it. Hopefully I don't get penalized for it lol Thanks a lot for your help.

Buri said:
Hmm I see what you mean. Well my problem was that how do I really know that from some point on those elements are no longer in U. But I guess the convergence of 1/n basically covers it. Hopefully I don't get penalized for it lol Thanks a lot for your help.

You know this by the definition of convergence of a sequence. There exists some positive integer N such that, for all n >= N, the members of the sequence are in U. Hence, at most n - 1 members of your sequence are not in U, which is definitely a finite number. (At most because the set U which contains 0 can be a union of a number of sets, so there can be some other elements which are in U, but for some n < N, they "jump out" of U again.)

Yeah, I messed up :( Oh well, its just one problem set lol Thanks for the help!

Buri said:
Hmm I see what you mean. Well my problem was that how do I really know that from some point on those elements are no longer in U.
You don't! It might well happen that all points of the set are in U. But that's not a problem- that just means that U itself would be a finite subcover. The important point is that there are at most a finite number of points that are not in U.

Thanks for helping me once again :)

Related to Compactness of A: Proving it is a Subset of R

1. What is a compact set?

A compact set is a subset of a metric space that is closed and bounded. In other words, it contains all of its limit points and is contained within a finite range of values.

2. How is compactness different from completeness?

Completeness refers to a metric space where every Cauchy sequence converges, while compactness refers to a subset of a metric space that is closed and bounded. In general, a metric space can be complete without being compact, and vice versa.

3. What is the Heine-Borel Theorem?

The Heine-Borel Theorem states that a subset of Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. This theorem is a fundamental result in topology and has many important applications in analysis and geometry.

4. Can a subset of a non-metric space be compact?

No, a subset can only be considered compact if it is a subset of a metric space, as the concept of compactness relies on the notion of distance between points in a space.

5. What are some examples of compact sets?

Some examples of compact sets include closed intervals in the real line, closed and bounded subsets of Euclidean space, and finite sets. In general, any set that is both closed and bounded can be considered compact.