Comets Heading Towards Earth: True or False?

• Thread starter kusha02
  • Start date
In summary, a comet is coming towards Earth, some say in 2014, others in 2019. It is not clear which comet is coming, but it is a close call. You should try to look on the bright side and be grateful for your last days.
kusha02
it is for comets who is come toward Earth i hear in tv and some news paper
in some they say comet come in 2014 , in some other in 2019
and now i don't know what to believe
it is true or false ?
if one know for this it is good to tell every one

Space news on Phys.org
Perhaps you are thinking of asteroids, as the links Zen gave suggest. It is true we are basically defenseless against these thugs. Fortunately, they are rare events, so we probably still have some time.

On January 31 1996 Comet Hyakutake was discovered and it passed within “0.1AU” of Earth on March 25 1996.
So it’s not just the ones we know about that could be planet killers and as you can see we would have had less then a month notice.
I did get some good pictures of http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9688/comtc5.pngand I knew how close it was and if I remember the news didn’t seem to explain what a close call this was. Are there more like this? Probably, and would anyone tell us? Why not we couldn’t do anything about it, just sit back and watch the panic and above all else enjoy your last days.

You got to try to look on the bright side of these things.
Of Corse while you are looking at the bright side the dark side crashes into your planet.

Last edited:
sas3 said:
Why not we couldn’t do anything about it, just sit back and watch the panic and above all else enjoy your last days.

Depending on the size of the asteroid, you might also want to get as close to the impact site as possible. Your death will be far less painful.

Evidence suggests the collision rate might be on the upswing - bad news for humans. We have no ability to deflect a comet or large asteroid on a collision course with earth. Might be a good idea to stop fighting each other and divert those efforts accordingly. In the mean time, it might not be a bad idea to have coffee and crumpets over a discussion on how to improve the human condition.

Related to Comets Heading Towards Earth: True or False?

What is a comet?

A comet is a small, icy object that orbits around the sun. It is made up of dust, ice, and frozen gases.

Are there comets heading towards Earth?

Yes, there are comets that come close to Earth's orbit, but they are not a threat to collide with our planet.

Is there a possibility of a comet hitting Earth?

While it is possible for a comet to collide with Earth, the chances are extremely low. NASA closely monitors all near-Earth objects and would provide advanced warning if there was a potential threat.

Can comets cause damage to Earth?

Comets can cause damage if they collide with Earth, but the likelihood of this happening is very rare. Most comets that come close to Earth will pass by harmlessly.

What are the effects of a comet hitting Earth?

If a comet were to hit Earth, it could cause significant damage depending on its size and speed. It could also have an impact on the Earth's atmosphere and climate. However, as mentioned earlier, the chances of this happening are extremely low.