Combinatorics question: Identical/nonidentical

In summary: Consider the following:If 2 gifts are given, and 3 children are given them, then there are 9 possibilities for which child each gift goes to. That is (9x2) = 18 possibilities. Now consider the case where only 1 gift is given. In this case, there are 4 possibilities for which child it goes to. That is (4x1) = 4 possibilities. So 8P5 is not the answer.
fignewtons

Homework Statement

and attempt at a solution[/B]
If 5 gifts are to be given among 8 children:

a) if the gifts are identical (indistinguishable) and no child can receive more than 1 gift, there are 8P5 ways

b) if the gifts are non-identical (distinguishable) there are 5!(8P5) ways

In a), the only order is that of the way the children receiving it, while in b), the distinguishability of the objects adds another order.

Can someone tell me if my reasoning and calculations are correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
figNewtons said:

Homework Statement

and attempt at a solution[/B]
If 5 gifts are to be given among 8 children:

a) if the gifts are identical (indistinguishable) and no child can receive more than 1 gift, there are 8P5 ways

b) if the gifts are non-identical (distinguishable) there are 5!(8P5) ways

In a), the only order is that of the way the children receiving it, while in b), the distinguishability of the objects adds another order.

Can someone tell me if my reasoning and calculations are correct?

Impossible to say, since you did not present your reasoning processes. In particular, how do you take account of the difference between scenarios (a) and (b)? (Here I mean with words of explanation, not just formulas.)

Ray Vickson said:
Impossible to say, since you did not present your reasoning processes. In particular, how do you take account of the difference between scenarios (a) and (b)? (Here I mean with words of explanation, not just formulas.)

Ok for a) it is 8 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4. The 5 gifts are like placeholders each with 8 possibilities of children to be awarded to.
For b) aside from a) another order is introduced. For each of the 5 kids who were given gifts, there are 5 ways to order the gifts since they are not identical. So 5! in addition to the 8 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4.

Let me know if it makes sense or not?

figNewtons said:
Ok for a) it is 8 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4. The 5 gifts are like placeholders each with 8 possibilities of children to be awarded to.
A useful check with such problems is to consider the smallest non-trivial case. Try 2 gifts and 3 children. You should be able to list the possibilities to check your answer.
You have correctly stated that it is a matter of which 5 children get the gifts (at least, I think that's what you mean), but that does not lead to 8P5.

Related to Combinatorics question: Identical/nonidentical

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects in a systematic way.

2. What is the difference between identical and nonidentical objects in combinatorics?

Identical objects are objects that are indistinguishable from each other, while nonidentical objects are distinct and can be differentiated from one another.

3. How do you calculate the number of combinations for identical objects?

The number of combinations for identical objects can be calculated by using the formula nCr = (n+r-1)! / r!(n-1)!, where n is the number of objects and r is the number of objects in each combination.

4. How do you calculate the number of permutations for nonidentical objects?

The number of permutations for nonidentical objects can be calculated by using the formula nPr = n! / (n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects in each permutation.

5. Can you give an example of a combinatorics problem with identical objects?

One example of a combinatorics problem with identical objects is: "In a group of 10 students, how many different ways can they be divided into two teams of 5 for a game of basketball?" Since the students in each team are not distinguishable, the answer would be 252 ways (10 choose 5).