Coil and resistor in parallel -- How to calculate the phase angle?

In summary, the conversation discusses a parallel connection between a coil and a resistor, powered by alternating current. The question is how to calculate the angle between voltage and current, with given values for reactive resistance, resistance, voltage, and current. The options for calculation are using phasor algebra or drawing a phasor diagram. It is noted that the information provided may not be accurate due to the inductor being ideal. The person seeking help is asked to share their attempted calculations and the complete question with all given parameter values and details.
MisterP
Hello. So I have a coil and a resistor in parallel connection. It is powered by alternating current. I have to calculate angle between voltage and current, what is the formula? I know the reactive resistance in coil, I know resistance of resistor, voltage across both of them and amps flowing through them as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do it using phasor algebra or by drawing the phasor diagram. What values are given? What have you tried?

I know that there is a formula for calculation, but I cannot find it.
Voltage across both of them is 100V, amps through R is 0.55A and amps on XL is 1A. There is an ampmeter before both of them as well and it shows 1.18A

MisterP said:
There is an ampmeter before both of them as well and it shows 1.18A
If the inductor is ideal, this can't be true (and this information is not required as well). Please post the complete question with given parameter values and details.

@MisterP , this thread was moved to a homework forum.

You must show us your calculations. We are here to help, not to do your work for you.

Related to Coil and resistor in parallel -- How to calculate the phase angle?

What is the purpose of using a coil and resistor in parallel?

The purpose of using a coil and resistor in parallel is to create a circuit that can handle both AC and DC currents. The coil acts as an inductor and the resistor acts as a load, allowing the circuit to have a specific impedance and control the flow of current.

How do I calculate the phase angle in a parallel coil and resistor circuit?

To calculate the phase angle, you will need to use the formula arctan(Xl/R), where Xl is the inductive reactance of the coil and R is the resistance of the resistor. The result will be in radians, so you may need to convert it to degrees if necessary.

Can the phase angle in a parallel coil and resistor circuit be negative?

Yes, the phase angle can be negative in a parallel coil and resistor circuit. This occurs when the inductive reactance is greater than the resistance, resulting in a negative value for the arctan function.

What is the significance of the phase angle in a parallel coil and resistor circuit?

The phase angle is significant because it represents the phase difference between the voltage and current in the circuit. It can also be used to calculate the power factor, which is a measure of the efficiency of the circuit.

Are there any other factors that can affect the phase angle in a parallel coil and resistor circuit?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the phase angle in a parallel coil and resistor circuit. These include the frequency of the current, the values of the inductance and resistance, and the presence of any other components in the circuit.