Coefficient of friction/conservation of energy problem

In summary, a problem involving an object launched along an incline at a given angle and initial velocity, reaching a height and then sliding back, with a given final velocity, requires finding the coefficient of friction between the object and the incline. Different approaches may be used, but they may give different answers unless the data is consistent. The discrepancy between the different coefficients of friction may be due to ignoring some information or assuming certain values, such as gravitational acceleration being 9.8 m/s^2.
poodle123
Homework Statement
An object is launched along the incline of angle 30 degrees with horizontal from its bottom level with initial velocity 6.5 m/s. It reaches height 2.1 m, comes to momentarily stop and slides back. When it comes back to initial point it has velocity 2.5 m/s. Find coefficient of friction between object and an incline.
Relevant Equations
coefficient of friction, conservation of energy
Not sure if I did something wrong but I am getting two different coefficients of friction for each velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Member has been reminded to show some effort from his side.
Not sure if I did something wrong but I am getting two different coefficients of friction for each velocity.

If you don't show us what you did, we cannot tell you what you did wrong.

Don't worry I was able to figure it out just now. Thank you though.

poodle123 said:
Don't worry I was able to figure it out just now. Thank you though.
I'm glad you figured it out. For future reference please remember to show your work as best as you can when you seek help.

poodle123 said:
Homework Statement:: An object is launched along the incline of angle 30 degrees with horizontal from its bottom level with initial velocity 6.5 m/s. It reaches height 2.1 m, comes to momentarily stop and slides back. When it comes back to initial point it has velocity 2.5 m/s. Find coefficient of friction between object and an incline.
Relevant Equations:: coefficient of friction, conservation of energy

Yes, there is too much information, so it's likely you can get more than one answer...
... unless we are wrong to assume this is at the surface of the Earth.

What approaches did you use and what answers do you get?

Hi thank you so much for replying! I was able to come to the answer this was how it was done!
1591048525189.png

1591048536514.png

1591048583876.png

poodle123 said:
Hi thank you so much for replying! I was able to come to the answer this was how it was done!
View attachment 263976
View attachment 263977
View attachment 263978
You have got an answer by ignoring some information, so that does not resolve your issue.
You can use that it reaches a height of 2.1m (ignoring what happens later), or that starting from rest at that height it reaches the given final speed, or, as you have done here, considered the loss of KE over the whole trip. These will all give different answers unless the problem setter has been very careful to make sure the data are consistent.

Edit: using the first two of the above approaches, I get 0.015 and 0.49. If I resolve the discrepancy by letting g be unknown I get that g is 5.77m/s2 and mu is 0.43.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
You have got an answer by ignoring some information, so that does not resolve your issue.
You can use that it reaches a height of 2.1m (ignoring what happens later), or that starting from rest at that height it reaches the given final speed, or, as you have done here, considered the loss of KE over the whole trip. These will all give different answers unless the problem setter has been very careful to make sure the data are consistent.

Edit: using the first two of the above approaches, I get 0.015 and 0.49. If I resolve the discrepancy by letting g be unknown I get that g is 5.77m/s2 and mu is 0.43.

I got 0.015 and 0.49 for mu at first, but after inputting the answers into the homework software, it said it was wrong. But I tried 0.2525 for mu, and it worked. I am not really sure why there is a discrepancy between the coefficient of friction over the whole trip, the coefficient of friction going up, and the coefficient of friction going down. I mean technically, shouldn't the coefficient if friction not change since the surface is constant? I mean I don't think coefficient of friction is dependent on gravitational acceleration, unless I am wrong (I was just under the assumption that gravitational acceleration didn't affect the coefficient of friction). Another thing you can assume in this problem though is that gravitational acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2. I known it isn't mentioned explicitly but it is assumed that this "experiment" is taking place on earth.

poodle123 said:
I got 0.015 and 0.49 for mu at first, but after inputting the answers into the homework software, it said it was wrong. But I tried 0.2525 for mu, and it worked. I am not really sure why there is a discrepancy between the coefficient of friction over the whole trip, the coefficient of friction going up, and the coefficient of friction going down. I mean technically, shouldn't the coefficient if friction not change since the surface is constant? I mean I don't think coefficient of friction is dependent on gravitational acceleration, unless I am wrong (I was just under the assumption that gravitational acceleration didn't affect the coefficient of friction). Another thing you can assume in this problem though is that gravitational acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2. I known it isn't mentioned explicitly but it is assumed that this "experiment" is taking place on earth.
As I posted, the issue is that the problem statement gives inconsistent facts. You can get all sorts of different answers depending on which facts you trust.
For the uphill journey, ##\mu=(\frac{v_i^2}{2gh}-1)\tan(\theta)##.
For the downhill journey, ##\mu=(1-\frac{v_f^2}{2gh})\tan(\theta)##.
For that to be consistent, ##4gh=v_i^2+v_f^2##.
The four values you are given for those variables disagree.

Likes poodle123
I see, thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it.

Thanks to @poodle123 and @haruspex for working this through. I sometimes try to work these problems myself, just for fun. On this one, I too, got three answers (mu uphill, mu downhill, and mu up&down). Made me wonder if I was doing something wrong there. Glad to find out I wasn't way off base.

I never thought of changing the g value to "cure" the discrepancy.

Likes poodle123
Perhaps a better way to resolve the discrepancy is to leave ##g## alone and make the angle of the incline also unknown in which case the distance ##s## traveled along the incline must be given instead of the vertical displacement ##h##. One has to solve a system of two equations and two unknowns: (a) the angle of the incline and (b) the coefficient of kinetic friction. The relevant equations are $$2(g\sin\theta+\mu_kg\cos\theta)s=v_i^2;~~~2(g\sin\theta-\mu_kg\cos\theta)s=v_f^2$$ from which we obtain the unknowns by adding and subtracting,$$\sin\theta=\frac{v_i^2+v_f^2}{4gs};~~~\mu_k=\frac{v_i^2-v_f^2}{4gs\sqrt{1-\left(\frac{v_i^2+v_f^2}{4gs}\right)^2}}$$With the given values of initial and final speeds and ##s=4.2 ~\mathrm{m}##, I got ##\theta =17^o## and ##\mu_k=0.23## (two significant figures). Needless to say, one has to choose the values of the speeds and the distance traveled so that the ratio giving ##\sin\theta## is less than unity for g = 9.8 m/s2.

Likes poodle123

Related to Coefficient of friction/conservation of energy problem

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. It is typically denoted by the symbol μ and can range from 0 (no friction) to 1 (maximum friction).

2. How is the coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction is determined experimentally by measuring the force required to move an object across a surface and dividing it by the weight of the object. This process is repeated with different weights and the average value is taken to account for any variations.

3. How does the coefficient of friction affect the conservation of energy?

The coefficient of friction plays a role in the conservation of energy by converting some of the object's kinetic energy into heat as it moves across a surface. This means that the total energy of the system is not conserved, as some energy is lost due to friction.

4. Can the coefficient of friction be changed?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can be changed by altering the properties of the surfaces in contact. For example, adding lubrication or changing the texture of the surface can reduce the coefficient of friction, while increasing the roughness or adding weight can increase it.

5. How is the coefficient of friction used in real-world applications?

The coefficient of friction is used in many real-world applications, such as designing tires for cars, determining the stopping distance of a vehicle, and creating non-slip surfaces for floors. It is also important in sports, as different surfaces and equipment have varying coefficients of friction that can affect performance.