Co-ordinate transformation matrix

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem related to linear transformations and coordinate transformation matrices. The first part involves expressing vectors in terms of standard bases and finding the coordinate transformation matrix. The second part is about finding the matrix of T with respect to new bases. The person asking for help is unsure about the approach for the second part and is seeking clarification.
asif zaidi
Plz advise if my approach is correct for 1st part and for 2nd part, I need some help.

Problem Statement

Consider the linear transformation T: R3->R2 whose matrix with respect to standard bases is given by | 2,1,6 |
| 0,2,-1|.
Now consider the bases f1={2,4,0}, f2={1,0,1}, f3 = {0,3,0} in R3 and
g1 = {1,1} and g2 = {1,-1}

Compute the coordinate transformation matrices between the standard bases and these bases and compute the matrix of T with respect to the new bases

Problem solution

For first part, I am doing the following
Express u1, u2, u3 in terms of standard bases vectors
u1 = 2e1 + 4e2;
u2 = e1 + e3;
u3 = 3e2;
Solve for e1,e2,e3 in terms of u1, u2, u3 and transpose of this is my co-ordinate transformation matrix. Is this correct?

For g vectors, do in a similar manner

For second part

I don't understand this part. How do I compute the matrix of T wrt these new bases. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look where T takes the new standard basis elements ie equiv of (1,0,0), (0,1,0) etc

Don't really understand your response. Could you elaborate please.

Also, is my 1st part to solution correct?

Thanks

asif zaidi said:
I don't understand this part. How do I compute the matrix of T wrt these new bases. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Look at how exactly the matrix representation of an operator is given.

Related to Co-ordinate transformation matrix

What is a co-ordinate transformation matrix?

A co-ordinate transformation matrix is a mathematical tool used to convert coordinates from one coordinate system to another. It is commonly used in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering to simplify calculations and analyze data.

How is a co-ordinate transformation matrix used?

Co-ordinate transformation matrices are used by multiplying them with a vector representing the coordinates in one system, resulting in a new vector representing the coordinates in the other system. This allows for easy conversion between different coordinate systems such as Cartesian, polar, or spherical coordinates.

What are the components of a co-ordinate transformation matrix?

A co-ordinate transformation matrix typically has four components: scaling, rotation, shear, and translation. These components dictate how the coordinates will be transformed from one system to another. Each component is represented by a specific number or variable in the matrix.

How are co-ordinate transformation matrices calculated?

The specific calculations for a co-ordinate transformation matrix depend on the type of transformation needed (e.g. scaling, rotation, etc.) and the specific coordinate systems involved. In general, the matrix is created by combining individual transformation matrices for each component (e.g. scaling matrix, rotation matrix) into one matrix using matrix multiplication.

What are some real-world applications of co-ordinate transformation matrices?

Co-ordinate transformation matrices have numerous applications in fields such as computer graphics, computer vision, robotics, and navigation. They are also used in surveying and cartography to convert between different coordinate systems used on maps. Additionally, they are used in physics and engineering to analyze and solve problems involving motion and forces in different coordinate systems.