Clebcsh Gordan Coefficients - QM

In summary: I see it now. Thanks for your help!In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of ladder operators and how they can be used to change the value of a state in quantum mechanics. The state in question is expressed as a linear combination of other states. The conversation then explores the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients and how they are derived using the total lowering operator. The coefficient in question comes out naturally from the expression and does not require an additional normalization step.
binbagsss
I'm looking at how a l j1,j2,jm> state can be operated on by the ladder operators, changing the value of m, and how this state can be expressed as a linear combination of l j1, j2, m1, m2> states.

Where the following relationships must be obeyed (x2):

m=m1+m2
l j1-j2 l ≤ j ≤ j1+j2

So I'm looking at an example where we start with state j1=1/2 and j2=1/2.

From the above relations I know :

m1=m2=[itex]\pm[/itex]1/2
j=j1+j2=1
m=-1,0,0,1

I am in state l j1,j1,j,m> = l 1/2,1/2,1,1>.

I operate with L- to get:

l 1/2, 1/2, 1,0>

Now I want to express this in terms of l j1, j2, m1, m2> bases. So looking at the possible values of m1 and m2, I can see this can be produced by a linear combination of l j1, j2, m1, m2> = l 1/2,1/2,1/2,-1/2> , l 1/2,1/2,-1/2,1/2>

So I need to figure out the coefficients.

Now here is my question:

I have the relation: J[itex]\pm[/itex] l j1,j2,j,m> = (j(j+1)-m(m[itex]\pm[/itex]1))[itex]^{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] l j1,j2,j,m[itex]\pm[/itex]1>, *

Which would give the coefficients as [itex]\sqrt{\frac{3}{4}}[/itex]

So I don't understand where the coefficients come from : ([itex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] is the solution).

I can see (i think ) that this makes sense from a normalization point of view. But then what happens to the coefficients attained from * ?

Many thanks for any assistance, greatly appreciated !

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
I have the relation: J[itex]\pm[/itex] l j1,j2,j,m> = (j(j+1)-m(m[itex]\pm[/itex]1))[itex]^{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex] l j1,j2,j,m[itex]\pm[/itex]1>, *
I'm afraid you are a little confused here. You are still in the [itex]|j_{1},j_{2}, j ,m \rangle[/itex] basis and not the [itex]|j_{1},j_{2}, m_{1} ,m_{2} \rangle[/itex] basis, so what you've got there is not the Clebsch-Gordan coefficient.

The correct way to derive the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients is to recognise that the state [itex]|j_{1},j_{2}, j ,m \rangle = |\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2},1,1 \rangle [/itex] is equivalent to [itex]|j_{1},j_{2}, m_{1} ,m_{2} \rangle = |\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2},\frac{1}{2} \rangle [/itex]. Now, you apply the lowering operator on this state. Give it a try, if you still need any help, I'll be happy to provide more details.

Okay thanks.
So do you consider the lowering operator acting on m1 and m2 individually, so effectively defining two different ladder operators - one for the '1 space' (L[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]_{\pm}[/itex])and (L[itex]_{2}[/itex][itex]_{\pm}[/itex]) for the '2 space'

If we then operate on l 1/2, 1/2, 1/2, 1/2 > in turn with (L[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]_{\pm}[/itex])and (L[itex]_{2}[/itex][itex]_{\pm}[/itex])

we get L[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]_{-}[/itex] = l 1/2, 1/2, -1/2, 1/2 >

and L[itex]_{2}[/itex][itex]_{-}[/itex]= l 1/2, 1/2, 1/2, -1/2 >

So this gives a coefficient of 1 for both
Would this be along the right lines?

Last edited:
Yup! The trick is to consider the total lowering operator, which is just the sum of the lowering operators on each subspace. So we have:
[tex]\ell^{-} \left|\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}, 1, 1 \right\rangle = \ell^{-}_{1} \left|\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2} \right\rangle + \ell^{-}_{2} \left|\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2} \right\rangle[/tex]
where the LHS is in the [itex]\left|j_{1}, j_{2}, j, m \right\rangle[/itex] basis and the RHS in the [itex]\left|j_{1}, j_{2}, m_{1}, m_{2} \right\rangle[/itex] basis.

Ok thanks. and the coefficients are 1, so does (1/2)^1/2 come from normalization?

No, there is no need for an additional step. The factor that you are looking for comes out naturally from the expression that i wrote. If you compute it explicitly, it yields
[tex]\sqrt{2}\left|\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}, 1, 0 \right\rangle = \left|\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}, -\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2} \right\rangle + \left|\frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2}, -\frac{1}{2} \right\rangle[/tex]
Move the factor of [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] to the RHS and it yields you exactly what you want.

ah. thanks.

Related to Clebcsh Gordan Coefficients - QM

1. What are Clebsch Gordan coefficients?

Clebsch Gordan coefficients are mathematical quantities that are used to describe the coupling of angular momenta in quantum mechanics. They are used to calculate the probability amplitudes for the possible outcomes of a measurement of a composite quantum system.

2. How are Clebsch Gordan coefficients related to quantum mechanics?

Clebsch Gordan coefficients are an important tool in quantum mechanics because they are used to describe the coupling of angular momenta, which is a fundamental property of quantum systems. They help to calculate the probabilities of different states and transitions in quantum systems.

3. How do Clebsch Gordan coefficients work?

Clebsch Gordan coefficients are calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the angular momenta of the individual components of a composite quantum system. This formula involves the use of Clebsch Gordan symbols, which represent the coupling of two angular momenta to form a total angular momentum.

4. What is the significance of Clebsch Gordan coefficients?

Clebsch Gordan coefficients are significant because they allow us to understand and predict the behavior of composite quantum systems. They provide a way to describe the coupling of angular momenta and calculate the probabilities of different outcomes in quantum measurements.

5. How are Clebsch Gordan coefficients used in practical applications?

Clebsch Gordan coefficients are used in a variety of practical applications, such as spectroscopy, nuclear physics, and quantum computing. They are also used in theoretical studies of quantum systems to understand their behavior and make predictions about their properties.