CLD Digital Clock Homework: 555 Timer & BCD Decoder

In summary, the conversation discusses a request for help in creating a digital clock using a 555 timer and BCD decoder to 7 segment display. The suggested solution is to use a CD4060 or 74HC4060 IC and a 32.768kHz watch crystal for more accurate results. The conversation also mentions the need for a BCD counter and adjusting the oscillation frequency of the 555 to control the incrementing rate.
bravo92

Homework Statement

I want to make a digital clock on hardware using 555 timer and BCD decoder to 7 segment display. Can anyone help me about the circuit ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am using the concept to increment the input of BCD decoder with the help of 555 timer but don't know how to do so

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean a 24 hour clock that tells human time or a 7-segment display that goes 0-9 and repeats?

You would need a BCD counter between the 555 and the decoder.

The 555 would connect to the clock of the BCD counter and the output would be converted by the decoder into drive for the 7 segment display.

@antiphon : I want to make a 7 segment display that goes 0-9 and repeats ... and for hours , minutes as well as seconds ...
@vk6kro : how to increment the counter that runs the clock ?

The counter will increment on each rising edge of the square wave from the 555.

So, you can arrange the incrementing rate by adjusting the oscillation frequency of the 555. (you do this by selecting the components that determine the frequency. Making both resistors 470 K and the capacitor 1 uF will get a frequency of about 1.02 Hz)

If you are trying to make this look like a real clock, don't forget that the seconds and minutes counters will go to 59 and then to zero, and the hours counter will go to 12 and then to one.

bravo92 said:

Homework Statement

I want to make a digital clock on hardware using 555 timer and BCD decoder to 7 segment display. Can anyone help me about the circuit ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am using the concept to increment the input of BCD decoder with the help of 555 timer but don't know how to do so

You are not going to get a very accurate clock circuit using a 555 timer chip. A better solution would be to use a CD4060 or 74HC4060 IC and a 32.768kHz watch crystal. Here is a simple Google search that includes circuit info and a YouTube video:

http://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...sb&fp=89a2241ee9b71d7a&ion=1&biw=1149&bih=882

Last edited:
Thanks a lot ... I got the solution ...

Related to CLD Digital Clock Homework: 555 Timer & BCD Decoder

1. What is a CLD digital clock and how does it work?

A CLD (common logic display) digital clock is a type of electronic clock that displays the time using a combination of 7-segment displays and a binary-coded decimal (BCD) decoder. The clock works by receiving input signals from a 555 timer, which acts as a clock oscillator, and then decoding and displaying the time in BCD format on the 7-segment displays.

2. What is a 555 timer and what is its role in a CLD digital clock?

A 555 timer is a type of integrated circuit that can function as a timer, oscillator, or flip-flop. In a CLD digital clock, the 555 timer acts as a clock oscillator, providing a steady pulse signal that is used to keep track of time and drive the BCD decoder.

3. How does the BCD decoder work in a CLD digital clock?

A BCD decoder is a digital circuit that converts binary-coded decimal (BCD) input into an output that can be displayed on a 7-segment display. In a CLD digital clock, the decoder receives the time information from the 555 timer and converts it into the format required by the 7-segment displays, allowing the clock to accurately display the time.

4. Can the time be adjusted on a CLD digital clock?

Yes, the time can be adjusted on a CLD digital clock by changing the input signals to the 555 timer. This can be done manually by using switches or buttons, or automatically by using a real-time clock (RTC) module.

5. What are the advantages of using a CLD digital clock over other types of clocks?

One advantage of a CLD digital clock is its accuracy. The use of a 555 timer and BCD decoder allows for precise timekeeping, making it a reliable option for time-sensitive applications. Additionally, the use of 7-segment displays makes the time easy to read at a glance. Another advantage is its versatility, as the time can be easily adjusted and the clock can be customized to display additional information, such as date or temperature.