Classical optics: Lambda-quarter plates

In summary, the speaker is trying to convert their linearly polarized light to σ-polarization using a lambda-quarter plate. However, they are unsure of how to determine whether the plate will produce σ+ or σ- polarization and if there is a manual or if it needs to be calibrated. They also clarify that the magnetic field points along a direction called z, while the laser propagates along that same direction and is linearly polarized perpendicular to z. They also mention that lambda/4 wave plates have indications for their fast and slow axes, and the orientation relative to the incoming light's polarization will determine the output polarization.
Niles
Hi

Say I have a magnetic field point in some well-known direction, and I have linearly polarized light incident in that direction. I want to convert my π-polarization to σ-polarization, so I find my lambda-quarter plate.

However, how do I know whether it produce σ+ or σ-? Do they come with a manual, or do people calibrate them by themselves? I'm not sure how I would do this.

Niles.

Science news on Phys.org
I'm confused by your question- first, the magnetic field will not point along the polarization direction, the polarization is defined by the electric field. Second, to rotate linearly polarized light (if π- and σ- refer to p- and s-polarized) you would use a 1/2 wave plate, not a 1/4-wave plate.

lambda/4 wave plates should have some indication where the fast and the slow axes are. The orientation relative to the (linear) polarization of incoming light will determine how the polarization afterwards looks like.

Andy Resnick said:
I'm confused by your question- first, the magnetic field will not point along the polarization direction, the polarization is defined by the electric field. Second, to rotate linearly polarized light (if π- and σ- refer to p- and s-polarized) you would use a 1/2 wave plate, not a 1/4-wave plate.
Hi

What I meant was tbat B points along some direction I call z. My laser propagates along z too, and it is linearly polarized perpendicular to z. I want to convert this linear polarization to σ+ (wrt. to z).
mfb said:
lambda/4 wave plates should have some indication where the fast and the slow axes are. The orientation relative to the (linear) polarization of incoming light will determine how the polarization afterwards looks like.
Hi

Thanks for that.

Hi Niles,

Great question! Lambda-quarter plates are used to convert linearly polarized light into circularly polarized light. The polarization direction of the circularly polarized light depends on the orientation of the quarter plate's fast axis relative to the incident polarization. In optics, the fast axis is typically marked on the quarter plate itself, so you can align it accordingly.

To determine whether the quarter plate will produce σ+ or σ- polarization, you can use a polarizer and a quarter wave plate together. First, rotate the polarizer to allow only σ+ polarization to pass through. Then, place the quarter wave plate between the polarizer and the light source. If the light passing through the quarter wave plate is completely blocked by the polarizer, then the quarter plate is producing σ+ polarization. If some light is able to pass through the polarizer, then the quarter plate is producing σ- polarization.

Alternatively, you can also use a detector, such as a photodiode, to measure the intensity of the light passing through the quarter plate. By rotating the quarter plate and measuring the intensity, you can determine whether it is producing σ+ or σ- polarization.

I hope this helps clarify the process for determining the polarization produced by lambda-quarter plates. Happy experimenting!

Related to Classical optics: Lambda-quarter plates

What is a lambda-quarter plate?

A lambda-quarter plate is a type of optical device that is used to manipulate the polarization of light. It consists of a thin layer of birefringent material, such as quartz or mica, with a thickness of one-quarter of the wavelength of the light passing through it.

How does a lambda-quarter plate work?

A lambda-quarter plate works by changing the phase difference between two perpendicular polarizations of light. When light passes through the plate, one polarization experiences a phase shift of 90 degrees while the other remains unchanged. This results in a rotation of the polarization direction of the light.

What are the applications of lambda-quarter plates?

Lambda-quarter plates have many applications in optics, such as in polarization optics, optical communication, and spectroscopy. They are also used in devices like polarizing filters, retarders, and waveplates.

How are lambda-quarter plates different from half-wave plates?

The main difference between lambda-quarter plates and half-wave plates is the thickness of the birefringent material. A lambda-quarter plate is one-quarter of the wavelength thick, while a half-wave plate is half the wavelength. This results in a different amount of phase shift between the two polarizations of light passing through them.

Can lambda-quarter plates be used with all types of light?

Lambda-quarter plates are most commonly used with monochromatic light sources, such as lasers, since they have a well-defined wavelength. However, they can also be used with white light, but the resulting polarization will vary with the wavelength of the light.