Clarification on the given PDE problem

• A
  • Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the conversation is discussing different approaches to applying the method of characteristics in solving PDEs. The speaker is interested in using simultaneous equations, but others suggest using the method of setting x and y values to eliminate eta in the transformed equation. There is also a mention of the integrating factor method, which the speaker prefers for now. The conversation ends with a suggestion to study the alternative approach.
chwala
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
see attached.
My interest is on the highlighted part only...my understanding is that one should use simultaneous equation... unless there is another way hence my post query.

1673170162078.png

In my working i have;

##y=\dfrac{2ξ+η}{10}## and ##x=\dfrac{2η-ξ}{10}## giving us;

##x+3y=\dfrac{2η-ξ+6ξ+3η}{10}=\dfrac{5ξ+5η}{10}=\dfrac{ξ+η}{2}## cheers guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you always have to question things like this? You have two equations for ## \xi## and ## \eta ## in ## x ## and ## y ## and you want to find two equations for ## x ## and ## y ## in ## \xi## and ## \eta ##: this is simultaneous equations by definition. You should do more thinking for yourself and not constantly seek assurance, this is not the way to develop confident problem solving skills.

Last edited:
Likes Mark44 and MidgetDwarf
@pbuk noted mate :biggrin: :biggrin: ...am slowly developing confidence...the pde's can be intimidating at times...not for the faint of hearts. Cheers...

Last edited:
chwala said:
TL;DR Summary: see attached.

My interest is on the highlighted part only...my understanding is that one should use simultaneous equation... unless there is another way hence my post query.

View attachment 319956

I don't think this approach is the best approach to applying the method of characteristics.

Firstly I don't think it extends to non-constant coefficients, and secondly it leads to more complicated airthmetic in finding the integrating factor and solving the transformed PDE than does the approach of setting [tex]
x_\xi = -2,\qquad y_\xi = 4[/tex] and then choosing [itex]x_\eta[/itex] and [itex]y_\eta[/itex] such that [itex]\eta[/itex] does not appear expressly in the transformed equation, leading to [tex]
u_{\xi} + 5u = e^{10\xi + (x_\eta + 3y_\eta)\eta} = e^{10\xi}.[/tex] This approach also works for non-constant coefficient problems.

Likes chwala
Thanks @pasmith ...i prefer the integrating factor method shown in the text for the time being... i need to try and study the approach that you are suggesting.

Last edited: