Circular Motion Dynamics. Car traveling in vertical circle

In summary, a small car with a mass of .800 kg travels at a constant speed on the inside of a track that is a vertical circle with a radius of 5.0m. The normal force exerted by the track on the car at the top of the track is 6.00N. To find the normal force at the bottom of the track, Newton's laws can be used to solve for the acceleration, which is then used in the equation N-mg=ma to find the normal force at the bottom. The given velocity of 12m/s is not explicitly stated in the problem, but can be seen in the accompanying diagram. However, it is not needed to solve the problem.
Unix

Homework Statement

A small car with mass .800 kg travels at a constant speed of 12m/s on the inside of a track that is a vertical circle with radius 5.0m. If the normal force exerted by the track on the car when it is at the top of the track is 6.00N, what is the normal force at the bottom of the track?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At the top of the track the FBD has the normal force pointing downwards, the weight is pointing downwards.

At the top of the track the acceleration is pointing downward so the equation using Newtons laws is

N+mg=ma

At the bottom of the circular track the normal is force is pointing upwards and the weight is pointing downwards and the acceleration is pointing upwards

N-mg=ma

The normal force at the top of the track was given. So I used that to solve for the acceleration

6+(.800)(9.8)=(.800)a

after solving for "a" I plugged the acceleration into the second equation to solve for the normal force at the bottom. The answer was 27.1 N. This is exactly what my solutions manual has,

but my question is: If we are in circular motion, there is a given velocity of 12m/s and a radius of 5m/s. Why can't we use a=(V^2)/R to find the acceleration ?If i use v^2/r I get a different answer for my acceleration but I don't understand why

Physics news on Phys.org
Unix said:
but my question is: If we are in circular motion, there is a given velocity of 12m/s and a radius of 5m/s. Why can't we use a=(V^2)/R to find the acceleration ?If i use v^2/r I get a different answer for my acceleration but I don't understand why
You most certainly should be able to use a = V^2/R. I think the problem is flawed--the given data are inconsistent.

Doc Al said:
You most certainly should be able to use a = V^2/R. I think the problem is flawed--the given data are inconsistent.

That's what I was thinking as well. There have been several "loop the loop" problems that are similar to this one where roller coasters are moving at constant velocities around circular tracks, and I've been able to find accelerations by using (V^2)/R.

NOTE:

I just realized something. The actual problem itself does not explicitly state that the velocity is 12m/s. However there is a diagram of the problem in the textbook and THAT is where it shows a velocity vector 12m/s

So the problem statement really is

"A small car with mass .800 kg travels at a constant speed on the inside of a track that is a vertical circle with radius 5.0m. If the normal force exerted by the track on the car when it is at the top of the track is 6.00N, what is the normal force at the bottom of the track?"

Since the problem doesn't explicitly state that the velocity is 12m/s. Is it correct to assume that the value of the velocity is irrelevant if we are given the normal force that is exerted at that period of time? (because we can find the acceleration directly using Newtons laws).

Unix said:
Is it correct to assume that the value of the velocity is irrelevant if we are given the normal force that is exerted at that period of time? (because we can find the acceleration directly using Newtons laws).
It's not irrelevant, exactly, but you don't need to be told it. There is enough other information provided.

Unix said:
Since the problem doesn't explicitly state that the velocity is 12m/s. Is it correct to assume that the value of the velocity is irrelevant if we are given the normal force that is exerted at that period of time? (because we can find the acceleration directly using Newtons laws).
I would not say that the speed is irrelevant, just that you do not need to be told it explicitly (nor do you need to calculate it to solve the problem). You have all the information needed to solve the problem without it. (I am agreeing with haruspex.)

If that diagram is meant to go with this particular problem, then it is mislabeled with an incorrect velocity. I would stick to the data provided in the problem statement in solving the problem (as you did).

Unix, I think you misprinted the answer. I got 21.7 N for the force at the bottom.

Related to Circular Motion Dynamics. Car traveling in vertical circle

1. What is circular motion dynamics?

Circular motion dynamics is the study of the forces and motion involved in an object moving along a circular path. It involves understanding the centripetal force, which is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, and how it affects the speed and direction of the object.

2. How does a car travel in a vertical circle?

A car traveling in a vertical circle experiences a combination of forces, including the gravitational force pulling it towards the center of the circle and the normal force from the ground pushing it upwards. These forces work together to keep the car moving in a circular path, with the speed and direction changing as it moves along the circle.

3. What is the centripetal force in circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular path and keeps an object moving in that path. In the case of a car traveling in a vertical circle, the centripetal force is the combination of the gravitational force and the normal force from the ground.

4. How does the speed of a car in a vertical circle affect the centripetal force?

The centripetal force is directly proportional to the speed of the car. As the speed increases, the centripetal force must also increase in order to keep the car moving in a circular path. If the speed is too low, the car may not have enough centripetal force to stay on the path and may fall off.

5. What factors affect the amount of centripetal force needed for a car to travel in a vertical circle?

The amount of centripetal force needed for a car to travel in a vertical circle is affected by the mass of the car, the speed at which it is traveling, and the radius of the circular path. A heavier car or a faster speed will require a greater centripetal force, while a smaller radius will also require a higher centripetal force.