Choosing a bearing design for a roller.

In summary, the conversation discusses the design and potential materials for a roller that will be used to assist in unloading cargo weighing 250-300lbs. The individual is considering using a tapered roller bearing but is unsure if they want a fully serviceable design or a unit that can be replaced entirely. They are seeking advice on the most cost-effective and efficient design for this application. The product being moved is trailer flooring and the individual is considering making the roller a removable piece that can be serviced if needed. They are also looking into using ball rollers for easier movement in any direction.
Fahlin Racing
Alright, the application I will be using this roller is for assisting the unloading of cargo that isn't exactly fun by hand. The load these will be handling will be around 250 - 300lbs give or take during use at the most.

My first thought was to use a tapered roller bearing, but, it would require me to establish more than one part to retain within the roller. I have not decided on what I may chose for the roller material yet. I have not decided if I would like to have this a fully servicable (axle, bearings, races, retainers etc) or just a unit you replace.

Could someone fill me in on which design out there would be cost effective and best possible for this application?

Thanks, Jim

Engineering news on Phys.org
It could be similar to a conveyer or other mechanism as far as a roller idea is concerned. It going to be a wide roller instead of a narrow style. Thanks for the google idea.

Would you happen to have any insight on this Pantaz?

Fahlin Racing said:
It could be similar to a conveyer or other mechanism as far as a roller idea is concerned. It going to be a wide roller instead of a narrow style. Thanks for the google idea.

Would you happen to have any insight on this Pantaz?

I need a lot more information before I can suggest anything. What is being moved? A pallet of boxes handles very differently than a length of pipe, or a sack full of rocks. How is the load being moved? How far? Permanent installation, or moved around as needed?

Jim.. can you post a sketch?
sounds like a good bench racing project ,,,

The roller would be 12 to 16 inches in width, undecided on the diameter but I would say 2 to 2.25 inches maximum diameter.

Product being moved would be trailer flooring for dry freight enclosed trailers. At the most weighs 5lbs per square foot. The boards range from 44 feet to upwards of 53 feet. I am not designing to handle multiple boards, but I am sure there may be someone out there that will end up overloading due to laziness of not moving the product off of it or just loading to much at one time. I have to take that into consideration. I am thinking of making it a piece that can be serviced if needed, but also looking at the possibility of an entire roller replacement would be more feasible. My first thought was to make it work with one area on the beam, but I could also think up a way to make it removable yet still stable when the load is applied during unloading.

The beam this will be adapted to is already produced and is readily available, I just have to figure out how to incorporate this into that and so on. The load is being moved by hand.

I will be sketching, although I have no scanner, I could try to find one and email it to myself. If need be, I can draw it up and snap a picture of it and go from there.

EDIT: I brought up SKF's website with that search and I am currently going through what they have to say about it. Timken's sales engineer hasn't returned my call yet, I doubt he ever will.

Last edited:
So you got one LONNNGG heavy board you need to moose around until you can get it where it needs to go..right? and it is bulky cumbersome and difficult for one person to move around due to being so heavy and long. You need something to attach to it to help pull/push it around to the end location.

A removable device to attach to 53 foot long, 16 inch wide board weighing 300 lbs. to assist a single person in the unloading process.
Right?

Last edited:
Fahlin Racing said:
The roller would be 12 to 16 inches in width, undecided on the diameter but I would say 2 to 2.25 inches maximum diameter.

It would be really hard to make your own rollers any cheaper (considering labor) than what I found at McMaster-Carr:
2" X 16" steel roller (300 lb capacity) $12.06
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/1227

I like McMaster for a lot of things, but they can be expensive for some things -- I recommend checking prices elsewhere.

The thing about the wood, its being slid over, put onto rollers and pushed & pulled into the storage area.

I will dwell on this some more and reply at a later time. Have a good weekend everyone!

Well right now I am not absolutely concerned about the price because I haven't decided on any concrete characteristics yet. However that is always a consideration. I am thinking more towards the durability side of things at the moment. When we unload the flooring it is above our heads so we (mainly me) must use a ladder in order to get it to move it across the current beams that don't help at all as far as easing the process of unloading.

Mike, what you described would seem to work great with an overhead crane setup in a shop. Maybe I could fab up something like that for mine in the future. The load of boards however is set to the side of the trailer. So the roller can't be absolutely centered in the beam.

I don't have a very clear picture of your process, but perhaps something with ball rollers would be more helpful.
http://www.ashlandconveyor.com/images/products/3MY75_bti_22_wwg.jpg

These let you move the load in any direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
The process is short.

The stack is offset from the center of the trailer on the beam. we have to 'center' the board before we can unload it. But, it has to be under the protective material that is on the ceiling of the trailer so it does not puncture the roof.

Kool setup you posted, I wonder how long that style would last in a dirty environment.

Fahlin Racing said:
... Kool setup you posted, I wonder how long that style would last in a dirty environment.

There are many ball roller designs & materials. I've also seen common swivel casters used in the same fashion.

Here is a basic rendering of my view. I did not go into extreme detail simply because my computer software does not have the capabilities, sketching was out of the question as well, still.
Flooringroller.png

I have not decided yet how to secure or incorporate it to the beams that are used.

Related to Choosing a bearing design for a roller.

1. What factors should be considered when choosing a bearing design for a roller?

Some important factors to consider include the load capacity, speed and direction of the roller, the operating environment (temperature, moisture, etc.), and the desired service life.

2. How do I determine the load capacity for a bearing design?

The load capacity is typically determined by calculating the applied load and dividing it by the projected area of the bearing. It is important to also consider factors such as the type of load (radial or axial) and the distribution of the load across the bearing.

3. What are the common types of bearing designs for rollers?

The most common types include ball bearings, roller bearings, and spherical bearings. Other options may include needle bearings, tapered bearings, or specialty designs for specific applications.

4. How does the operating environment affect the choice of bearing design?

The operating environment can impact the material and lubrication requirements for the bearing. For example, high temperatures may require a bearing with a higher temperature tolerance, while a wet or corrosive environment may require a corrosion-resistant material or specialized lubricant.

5. What is the typical service life for a roller bearing?

The service life of a roller bearing can vary depending on factors such as load, speed, and operating conditions. However, with proper maintenance and selection of a suitable bearing design, a roller bearing can have a long service life ranging from several thousand to millions of revolutions.