Choose Your Skin Preference: Android-Inspired or Classic Design?

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    android
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of allowing users to choose their preferred skin on Physics Forums, with one user expressing a dislike for the new "modern" android-inspired skin and a desire to have the old skin back. However, it is mentioned that the changes are not just limited to the skin, as a completely new engine called Switch was announced in August. The other user explains that it is not feasible to have multiple skins due to the highly customized nature of PF and limited resources.
Nikitin
Hi. Would it be feasible to let the user choose his preferred skin? I really don't like this "modern" android-inspired stuff, and would really prefer the old skin instead.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I already knew the changes are much bigger than just the skin. What I'm asking about is if it's feasible to let those who wish have the old look back,, or at least something resembling the old look.

I am afraid it can't be done. We discussed it in the past - and it would require supporting more than one skin. Problem is, PF is (and always will be) highly customized, which makes support of multiple skins virtually impossible taking into account resources (mainly man hours) we have at hand.

Likes Nikitin

Related to Choose Your Skin Preference: Android-Inspired or Classic Design?

1. What is the difference between an Android-inspired skin and a classic design?

An Android-inspired skin is based on the design language and aesthetic of the Android operating system, which features clean lines, bold colors, and a modern look. A classic design, on the other hand, may include elements from traditional design styles, such as vintage or retro themes, and often has a more subdued color palette.

2. How do I choose the right skin for my needs?

Consider your personal preferences and the overall purpose of your device. If you prefer a modern and sleek look, an Android-inspired skin may be the best choice. If you want a more timeless and traditional design, a classic skin may be a better fit. Additionally, consider the functionality and features of each design to determine which one aligns with your needs.

3. Can I change my skin preference after I have already selected one?

Yes, you can typically change your skin preference at any time. Most devices have settings or options that allow you to switch between different skins or themes. Keep in mind that changing your skin may affect the layout and arrangement of your device's interface, so it's best to choose a skin that you are happy with from the start.

4. Are there any performance differences between the two skin options?

In general, there should not be any significant performance differences between an Android-inspired skin and a classic design. Both skins are usually optimized for efficiency and functionality, so the choice ultimately comes down to personal preference.

5. Can I customize my skin to my liking?

It depends on the device and the skin options available. Some devices may allow for more customization than others, and some skins may have more customizable elements than others. It's best to check the settings and options of your device to see what level of customization is available for your chosen skin.