Chemicals for rocket fuel and superchemicals?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best chemical mixes for solid and liquid state rockets, with a focus on specific impulse and energy density. The preferred liquid propellants are liquid hydrogen and oxygen, while perchlorates are commonly used in solid propellants. There are no liquid superchemicals, and electric propulsion is another possible option. Specific impulse for bi-chemical liquid fuels is around 450 seconds.
BigFly
I want to get a little into rocketry and i want to know what are the best chemical mixes for solid and liquid state rockets? also i wanted to know if there are such things as super chemicals. I am not sure if i made that up or not or it just a different word but, what i mean are chemicals that have been altered to have the ability to create a lot more thrust and/or specific impulse than regular chemicals.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It's pretty hard to beat liquid hydrogen and oxygen as far as liquid propellants go, but they require cryogenic storage. The Space Shuttle Main Engines use a hydrogen-rich LH2/LOx mixture. A more energetic reaction with higher specific impulse would be H+F (hydrogen + fluorine), but that would be unsuitable in the atmosphere since HF is extremely corrosion and toxic to living things.

There are no liquid superchemicals.

As far as solids go, there is a delicate balance of energy density and explosiveness. Perchlorates are the preferred oxidizing agent, and ammonium perchlorate is commonly used.

See - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Solid_Rocket_Booster#Propellant

http://www.esa.int/esaMI/Launchers_Access_to_Space/ASEDYQI4HNC_0.html

hmm that's interesting what the specific impulse for that mixture just wondering? also I am not sure if there is or not but are there any ways to make electric propulsion that you know of? or anyone else if they read this?

Fuels in general contain more energy the greater their mass. For ex. Diesel vs petrol.
In this case the use of kerosene and LOX is the simplest. There are other oxidisers available, for ex. hydrogen peroxide.
Goddard used gasoline and LOX. Russians and Chinese have used kero and LOX as did the Saturn V.

BigFly said:
hmm that's interesting what the specific impulse for that mixture just wondering? also I am not sure if there is or not but are there any ways to make electric propulsion that you know of? or anyone else if they read this?

http://nmp.nasa.gov/ds1/tech/ionpropfaq.html" is the only way that I know of other than an electric powered prop or turbine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Specific impulse for bi-chemical liquid fuels is around 450s.

specific impulse measured in time is 453 seconds, or, equivalently, an effective exhaust velocity of 4500 m/s, for the Space Shuttle Main Engines when operating in vacuum.

Related to Chemicals for rocket fuel and superchemicals?

1. What are the main types of chemicals used in rocket fuel?

The main types of chemicals used in rocket fuel are liquid propellants, solid propellants, and hybrid propellants. Liquid propellants, such as liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen, are typically used in larger rockets and provide higher thrust. Solid propellants, such as ammonium perchlorate and aluminum powder, are used in smaller rockets and are easier to store and handle. Hybrid propellants combine elements of both liquid and solid propellants.

2. How do these chemicals create the necessary thrust for rockets to launch?

Rocket fuel chemicals create thrust by undergoing a chemical reaction and releasing large amounts of energy in the form of heat and gas. This gas is directed out of the rocket's engines, pushing it in the opposite direction and propelling the rocket forward.

3. Are there any risks associated with working with rocket fuel chemicals?

Yes, there are risks associated with working with rocket fuel chemicals. These chemicals are highly reactive and can be toxic if handled improperly. They also pose a risk of explosion if not handled with extreme caution. Proper safety precautions and training are necessary when working with these chemicals.

4. Can rocket fuel chemicals be used for other purposes besides rocket propulsion?

Yes, rocket fuel chemicals can be used for other purposes besides rocket propulsion. For example, some chemicals used in rocket fuel, such as liquid hydrogen, can be used as a coolant in nuclear reactors. However, their primary purpose is for use in rocket propulsion due to their unique properties and high energy output.

5. What makes some chemicals considered "superchemicals"?

Superchemicals are chemicals that have exceptional properties, such as high energy output, stability, or reactivity, that make them suitable for use in advanced technologies or applications. In the context of rocket fuel, superchemicals are typically those that have high energy densities and can provide the necessary thrust for space exploration and deep space travel.