Check my solution please (Sine and cosine functions)

In summary, the conversation is about drawing the graph of y=cosx-2 and whether it is the same as the graph of y=cosx. The conclusion is that the correct graph is obtained by shifting the y values down by 2 units and there may be some issues with the graphing calculator settings.
supernova1203
I was asked to draw the graph of y=cosx-2

This equation means the graph of y=cosx is shifted 2 units down correct? (Since -2 is the C value because if it were the d value in y=acos(k(x-d))+c it would be in degrees, so we shift each y coordinate down 2 units, or subtract the y value by 2, i have graped the equation, it makes sense but when i put it in the graphing calculator it shows a different graph, infact it shows y=cosx-2 to be the EXACT same graph as the one from y=cosx...

when i put those 2 equations in it shows 1 graph (or rather the 2 graphs on top of each other)
I suspect i am correct because my instincts never let me down and the graphing calculator probably has some settings wrong

who do you think is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, shift the y value down by 2 so that e.g. at x=0, instead of getting the peak at +1, it's now at -1.

This seems to be the same question you asked in another thread. To get the graph of y = cos(x) - 2, shift the graph of y = cos(x) down by 2 units. You should not be getting the same graph for both functions.

Related to Check my solution please (Sine and cosine functions)

1. What is the purpose of using sine and cosine functions?

Sine and cosine functions are used to model periodic phenomena, such as the motion of waves or the movement of a pendulum. They also have applications in areas such as physics, engineering, and signal processing.

2. How do I know if my solution using sine and cosine functions is correct?

One way to check your solution is by graphing the function and comparing it to the given data points or equation. Another method is to substitute the solution into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation.

3. Can I use any angle measurement with sine and cosine functions?

Yes, sine and cosine functions can be used with any angle measurement, as long as it is consistent throughout the problem. However, the most commonly used angle measurement is radians.

4. Are there any common mistakes when using sine and cosine functions?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert the angle measurement to radians when using a calculator. Another mistake is using the wrong sign or value for the amplitude or period of the function.

5. Can sine and cosine functions be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, sine and cosine functions can be used to solve a variety of real-world problems, such as predicting tides, analyzing sound waves, or modeling the motion of a swinging pendulum. They are also used in fields such as astronomy, music, and navigation.