Charge transfer between two capacitors in an open circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of charged capacitors when connected to each other with a conductor. The overall explanation is that charges on the inner plates are locked in place due to the attraction of charges on the outer plates. When connected, there will be a flow of charges until the potential difference is equal, and charges on the outer plates will move towards their outer surface. The conversation also mentions the presence of electric fields in capacitors and how they affect the movement of charges. The conversation ends with a comment about using real capacitors to test these predictions.
juvan
Hello everyone,

I have drawn a picture of my confusion, I think it says it all:

Capacitors.png

Now to add some text: so we charge two capacitors C1 and C2 to a voltage V. Now we have two charged capacitors. We now connect -Q1 to +Q2 and nothing else (the other two legs are floating). From my basic understanding of physics opposite charges attract so in our case I feel as though there should be some charge movement, even though we don't have a closed circuit (basic electronics) we still have opposite charges connected by a conductor (basic physics).

I am asking for an overall explanation of the scenario. What I would like most is not an explanation with equations but with simple words and the physical goings on.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
As I suspect you know, nothing much happens when your dotted line in (b) is made a conductor. Here are two remarks which might help.

(a) The charges on the 'inner' plates (B and C, to steal Qwertywerty's notation) are locked in place by the attraction of the charges on the outer plates (A and D).

(b) Electric field lines start on positive charges and end on negative charges. Capacitors (certainly those for electronics) are so constructed that there's almost no chance of a field line starting on the positive plate ending anywhere except on the other plate: the charges on the plates are equal and opposite.

(d) Another approach. Take plates A and D away. Free electrons on B will move to C so there'll no longer be any charge separation; the B/C assembly will be neutral. Now gradually move charged plates A and D into place. The positive charge on A will draw some free electrons from C into B, and the negative charge on D will assist in pushing the free electrons in the same direction.

PS Lovely diagrams – how did you do them?

Last edited:
juvan said:
I am asking for an overall explanation of the scenario. What I would like most is not an explanation with equations but with simple words and the physical goings on.
First of , you should know that charges on the inner surfaces of the capacitor plates will be the same always .
Also , charges are not going to jump from one plate to another .

I'll assume that , from left to right , the plates are numbered A , B , C and D .
Now , obviously , when you connect two objects with different charges , there is a flow of the charges from the more charged particle to the lesser charged particle ( Potential difference ) . Same in this case from - B to C .
There will be a flow till charge on B is equal to that on C . Simultaneouly , charges on A and D will move towards their outer surface , such that net charge in between each capacitor's plates is zero .

Hope this helps ,
Qwertywerty .

It helps to look at it the other way around. Charge the two capacitors in series then separate them. Nothing special happens.

You can even assign a potential of zero volts to the center node, if that helps.

Qwertywerty said:
First of , you should know that charges on the inner surfaces of the capacitor plates will be the same always .
Also , charges are not going to jump from one plate to another .

I'll assume that , from left to right , the plates are numbered A , B , C and D .
Now , obviously , when you connect two objects with different charges , there is a flow of the charges from the more charged particle to the lesser charged particle ( Potential difference ) . Same in this case from - B to C .
There will be a flow till charge on B is equal to that on C . Simultaneouly , charges on A and D will move towards their outer surface , such that net charge in between each capacitor's plates is zero .

Hope this helps ,
Qwertywerty .
This is not necessarily true. The charge will flow until (and if) there is a potential difference and will stop when they are the same potential (and not the same charge).
If we assume ideal capacitors, the field outside the plates is zero so there is no field between the capacitors and so, no potential difference. The charge has no "reason" to flow.
If we consider edge effects, there is a field, for sure. But then you cannot apply the simple capacitor formulas.

It's just an illusion that there is a net force moving charge from plate C to B (for example).
The positive charge on the plate C is attracted by the negative on D as well as the negative on B and also repelled by the positive on A. For ideal capacitor, the forces from A and B cancel out.

Ok... I think I get what you are all saying and thank you for the replies. All the answers combined really helped, the only slightly confusing answer was 'Qwertywertys'.

stedwards said:
It helps to look at it the other way around. Charge the two capacitors in series then separate them. Nothing special happens.
This helped to support what 'Philip Wood' and 'nasu' said.

What I got from it is that the electric field in a capacitor is present (for the most part) only between the plates, so the charges on plate A are attracting charges on plate B (and the same for plates C and D). Now even if there are different charges on plates B and C and the charges are connected via conducting wire, the electric field is much stronger in the capacitors (A to B and C to D) then through the wire (B to C) and although there may be some tiny charge transfer, the charges mainly stay where they are. That seems intuitive, I obviously haven't thought about the electric field. Is my reasoning correct?

Philip Wood said:
PS Lovely diagrams – how did you do them?
MS Paint :)

juvan said:
MS Paint :)
Thank you.

It's easy to check the prediction about capacitor behaviour using real capacitors. The pd across a capacitor is proportional to the magnitude of the charge, so the prediction can be checked by looking for abrupt changes in p.d. across either capacitor when the connection is made.

There are practical considerations. A cheap autoranging digital multimeter usually has a resistance of about [itex]10\ \textrm{M} \Omega[/itex] on its volts range, so you'll need capacitors of a least several [itex]\mu \textrm{F}[/itex] so that voltage doesn't decay too quickly by leakage through the meter.

Related to Charge transfer between two capacitors in an open circuit

1. How does charge transfer occur between two capacitors in an open circuit?

In an open circuit, charge transfer between two capacitors occurs through the electric field that exists between them. When one capacitor has a higher voltage than the other, electrons will flow from the higher voltage capacitor to the lower voltage capacitor, causing charge transfer.

2. Can charge transfer occur between two capacitors with different capacitance values?

Yes, charge transfer can occur between two capacitors with different capacitance values. The amount of charge transferred will depend on the capacitance ratio between the two capacitors. The higher the capacitance ratio, the larger the amount of charge transferred.

3. What factors affect the rate of charge transfer between two capacitors?

The rate of charge transfer between two capacitors is affected by the voltage difference between the two capacitors, the capacitance ratio, and the resistance of the circuit. Higher voltage differences and lower resistance will result in a faster rate of charge transfer.

4. What happens to the charge on each capacitor after charge transfer occurs?

After charge transfer occurs between two capacitors, the total charge on each capacitor is equal to the amount of charge transferred. This means that one capacitor will have a higher charge than it did before, while the other will have a lower charge.

5. Can charge transfer between two capacitors in an open circuit lead to a change in voltage?

Yes, charge transfer between two capacitors in an open circuit can cause a change in voltage. This is because the voltage of each capacitor will change as a result of the charge transfer, and the overall voltage in the circuit will also change accordingly.