Chain rule for commutator (Lie derivative)?

In summary, the commutator between x and another operator y can be expressed in terms of the commutator between x and the inverse of y. This relationship can be found using the Lie product notation.
WraithM
I'm curious if there's a chain rule for the commutator (I'll explain what I mean) just like there's a product rule ([AB,C]).

So, say you have an operator, which can be expressed in terms of another operator, and we know the commutation relationship between x and another operator, y. I'll call this operator F(x) where you can express F in terms of x. I'm curious about [itex][F(x), y][/itex].

I know the answer for a specific case in quantum mechanics, but I'm curious about the general case.

Here's my specific case: [itex][V(x), p][/itex] where we know [itex][x, p] = i \hbar[/itex].

I'll have this commutator operate on [itex]\psi[/itex] so that it's very clear how I found this.
[itex][V(x), p]\psi = V(x)p\psi - pV(x)\psi = V(x)p\psi + i\hbar(V(x)\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial V(x)}{\partial x}\psi) = V(x)p\psi - V(x)p\psi + i\hbar\frac{\partial V(x)}{\partial x}\psi[/itex]

canceling some terms you get: [itex][V(x),p] = i\hbar \frac{\partial V(x)}{\partial x}[/itex]

Now the answer seems to be: [itex][V(x), p] = -(pV(x))[/itex].

The parenthesis are needed to differentiate it from [itex]pV(x)[/itex], which would be very different from [itex](pV(x))[/itex].

I can't be very general with this example. I expanded the commutator and used the p operator in the position representation, and I used the product rule for derivatives. That's not general at all. I am curious of the case of general operators F(x), x, y, and we know [x, y].

Does anybody have any insights into this? Is it even possible to make such a relationship without knowing more information? I've never taken an abstract algebra course (that'll be next semester probably), so I've turned to the internet for help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First find the commutator [itex][x^n,p][/itex] for arbitrary n. (Try to guess the correct result, and then prove it by induction). Once you have that, it's easy to evaluate [F(x),p] whenever F(x) can be expressed as a series.

This approach should still work when you replace p with something else.

Fredrik said:
First find the commutator [itex][x^n,p][/itex] for arbitrary n. (Try to guess the correct result, and then prove it by induction). Once you have that, it's easy to evaluate [F(x),p] whenever F(x) can be expressed as a series.

This approach should still work when you replace p with something else.

Of course! I have to add the condition that the operators are linear! Silly me :)

Thanks!

Arnold Neumaier recently taught some extensions (beyond series) to what's already been described above.

I'll use Arnold's Lie product notation (since that's what the original document is written with). It's defined as:
[tex]
\def\lp{\angle\,}
\def\eps{\varepsilon}
\def\implies{~~~\Rightarrow~~~}
A \lp B ~:=~ \frac{i}{\hbar} [A,B] ~.
[/tex]
In the following, [itex]X,f,g[/itex] are (functions of) elements of a Lie algebra (actually a Poisson algebra since the Leibniz product rule holds). The first result below is easy. The second less so. (I can post the proofs if anyone wants them.)

Proposition 1:
If [itex]f[/itex] is invertible, then
[tex]
X \lp f^{-1} ~=~ -f^{-1} (X\lp f) f^{-1}
[/tex]

Proposition 2:
For any smooth expression [itex]F(f,g)[/itex],
[tex]
f \lp F(f,g)
~=~ \lim_{\eps\to 0} \frac{F(f, g + \eps f\lp g) - F(f,g)}{\eps}.
[/tex]

Corollary (of Prop 2):
If [itex]f\lp g[/itex] commutes with [itex]g[/itex] then for any smooth expression [itex]F(f,g)[/itex],
[tex]
f\lp F(f,g) = F_g(f,g)(f\lp g) = (f\lp g) F_g(f,g) ,~~~~
\left(\mbox{where}~~ F_g := \partial_g F \right).
[/tex]

In particular,
[tex]
p \lp q = 1 \implies
p \lp f(q) = f'(q) ,~~~
f(p) \lp q = f'(p) .
[/tex]

WraithM said:
canceling some terms you get: [itex][V(x),p] = i\hbar \frac{\partial V(x)}{\partial x}[/itex]

Now the answer seems to be: [itex][V(x), p] = -(pV(x))[/itex].

The parenthesis are needed to differentiate it from [itex]pV(x)[/itex], which would be very different from [itex](pV(x))[/itex].

Short comment.

It would be more clear to rewrite your -(pV(x)) to - hbar/i V'(x).

Regards.

Related to Chain rule for commutator (Lie derivative)?

What is the chain rule for commutator?

The chain rule for commutator, also known as the Lie derivative, is a mathematical operation that measures the change in a vector field along the flow of another vector field. It is commonly used in differential geometry and mathematical physics.

How is the chain rule for commutator defined?

The chain rule for commutator is defined as the Lie bracket of two vector fields, which is the difference between the two vector fields evaluated at the point of interest, and the commutator of the two vector fields evaluated at the same point.

What is the significance of the chain rule for commutator?

The chain rule for commutator is significant because it allows for the calculation of how a vector field changes along the flow of another vector field. This is important in understanding the behavior of physical systems and in solving differential equations.

What are some applications of the chain rule for commutator?

The chain rule for commutator has applications in various fields such as general relativity, fluid dynamics, and control theory. It is also used in the study of Lie groups and Lie algebras in mathematics.

How does the chain rule for commutator relate to the concept of derivatives?

The chain rule for commutator can be seen as an extension of the concept of derivatives, where instead of measuring the change in a function along a single direction, it measures the change along the flow of a vector field. It also satisfies many of the same properties as derivatives, such as the product rule and the chain rule.