Cepheid Variable Stars and Space-Time Warping

In summary, the behavior of Cepheid stars is influenced by the ionization of helium in their outer layers. As the star expands, it becomes less opaque and increases in brightness. As it contracts, it becomes more opaque and decreases in brightness. This variation in brightness is caused by the energy being absorbed and released in the outer gas layer, not the entire star. The mass of the star does not increase, as fusion only converts a small fraction of the initial mass into energy. This means that the orbital changes of bodies around Cepheid stars are mostly negligible. The phase change of helium from double ionized to single ionized and back to double plays a significant role in the behavior of Cepheid stars.
Uzbar Zibil Tarag
After going through the starting parts of Astrophysics, (and excuse me if I completely mess this up), that if the apparent brightness of the star decreases due to the loss in energy and contracts then expands again over a certain period.

Then as the energy released has a mass equivalence, then the mass of the overall system of the star will decrease therefore the curvature created by the star will also decrease, and will be the opposite as the star expands.

Therefore anything in orbit around these Cepheid stars should have a change in their orbits relative to the period of change?

This is more of a question to see if my thinking is correct, so please correct me!

Thank you in advance

Astronomy news on Phys.org
None of your suppositions are correct, I'm afraid.

Uzbar Zibil Tarag said:
After going through the starting parts of Astrophysics, (and excuse me if I completely mess this up), that if the apparent brightness of the star decreases due to the loss in energy and contracts then expands again over a certain period.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

Uzbar Zibil Tarag said:
Then as the energy released has a mass equivalence, then the mass of the overall system of the star will decrease therefore the curvature created by the star will also decrease, and will be the opposite as the star expands.

The mass of a star only ever decreases except in very rare circumstances, such as white dwarfs accumulating mass by stealing matter from a companion star.

I'm sorry if I'm not being clear but a Cepheid Star decreases in brightness over time before increasing due to the fact that it can no longer contain the energy.
Correct?

IMG_0950.JPG

As the graph shows, which should mean the energy lost causes the star to cool, and then contract. And as the energy being released in one form or another has a mass equivalence should mean the mass of the star decreases.

Or am I going completely off course with this?

Uzbar Zibil Tarag said:
As the graph shows, which should mean the energy lost causes the star to cool, and then contract. And as the energy being released in one form or another has a mass equivalence should mean the mass of the star decreases.
Its mass decreases, because it's shining - just as any other star. It never increases, though, which is what your opening post suggested. As stars lose mass this way (as well as due to solar wind), bodies orbiting them spiral out. However, the fraction of stellar mass converted to radiation is minuscule - fusion converts less than 1% of initial mass over its lifetime, so the rate of orbital changes is mostly negligible.
In case of variable stars, the rate of mass loss due to varying radiative output fluctuates, so the rate at which orbits spiral out also fluctuates (but they don't spiral in).

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur
Uzbar Zibil Tarag said:
I'm sorry if I'm not being clear but a Cepheid Star decreases in brightness over time before increasing due to the fact that it can no longer contain the energy.
Correct?

View attachment 203444

Or am I going completely off course with this?
The accepted model for the variation in the Cepheid star works like this:
The outer layers of the atmosphere contains ionized helium. During the dim stage of the star, it is highly ionized, which makes it opaque to visible light. As it heats from the energy it is absorbing, it expands, becomes less ionized and becomes less opaque, allowing more of the star's light to pass through and we see the star as brightening. But this also means that the gas is absorbing less energy and begins to cool again, contract, becoming more opaque, and once again blocking the light we see. So the total energy output of the star doesn't vary, just the amount of visible amount that is allowed to pass through the helium gas layer. It is just that outer gas layer that expands and contracts, and not the entire star.

Likes Jamison Lahman
Bandersnatch said:
Its mass decreases, because it's shining - just as any other star. It never increases, though, which is what your opening post suggested. As stars lose mass this way (as well as due to solar wind), bodies orbiting them spiral out. However, the fraction of stellar mass converted to radiation is minuscule - fusion converts less than 1% of initial mass over its lifetime, so the rate of orbital changes is mostly negligible.
In case of variable stars, the rate of mass loss due to varying radiative output fluctuates, so the rate at which orbits spiral out also fluctuates (but they don't spiral in).
Yes, well put. The OP has got his orders of magnitude wrong, which accounts for his ideas about what could be happening. The numbers count, as usual.

Uzbar Zibil Tarag said:
...a Cepheid Star decreases in brightness over time before increasing due to the fact that it can no longer contain the energy.
Correct?

At low altitude high humidity air is transparent to visible light. When it rises water vapor goes through a phase change and becomes cloud droplets. The cloud changes the appearance of Earth's surface from space. Plants, soil, and rock adsorb a lot of light. Clouds are more reflective. Helium is very different from water. Water is convenient to observe at home and it switches from clear to opaque under some circumstances.

The helium phase change is from double ionized to single ionized and then back to double.
The star is hot enough to double ionize when it is compact. Any black body radiates more light when it has a larger surface. The opacity amplifies the oscillation. When compact and at high temperature the helium retains light and the extra energy helps drive the expansion. At large radius the surface emits more light and the helium stops retaining so the star starts to cool.

Likes Drakkith

Related to Cepheid Variable Stars and Space-Time Warping

1. What are Cepheid Variable Stars?

Cepheid Variable Stars are a type of pulsating star that has a regular pattern of brightness changes. They are named after the star Delta Cephei, which was the first of its kind to be discovered. These stars are important in astronomy because their pulsations are directly related to their luminosity, making them useful for measuring distances in space.

2. How do Cepheid Variable Stars relate to the concept of space-time warping?

Cepheid Variable Stars are used to measure distances in space because their pulsations are directly related to their luminosity. This means that by measuring the period of their brightness changes, astronomers can calculate their absolute magnitude. This, combined with their observed magnitude, can then be used to determine their distance. This method relies on the assumption that the speed of light is constant, which is a key concept in the theory of relativity and the idea of space-time warping.

3. What is the significance of using Cepheid Variable Stars for measuring distances in space?

Using Cepheid Variable Stars to measure distances in space has been crucial in expanding our understanding of the universe. Prior to their discovery, astronomers had no reliable way to accurately measure the vast distances between celestial objects. Their use has allowed us to map out the size and structure of our galaxy, and has also been instrumental in determining the expansion rate of the universe.

4. How do scientists study and observe Cepheid Variable Stars?

Scientists study and observe Cepheid Variable Stars using various telescopes and instruments. These telescopes can measure the brightness of the stars over time, allowing astronomers to determine their period of pulsation. This data is then used to calculate their absolute magnitude and distance. Additionally, scientists also use spectrometers to analyze the composition of the stars and their surroundings.

5. Are Cepheid Variable Stars the only type of star used for measuring distances in space?

No, Cepheid Variable Stars are not the only type of star used for measuring distances in space. Other types of pulsating stars, such as RR Lyrae stars and Type Ia supernovae, are also used for this purpose. Each type of star has its own unique characteristics and can be used to measure distances within a certain range. This diversity of distance indicators allows scientists to verify and cross-check their measurements, leading to more accurate and reliable results.