Central Limit Theorem Homework: Find Expected Deviation

In summary, the question involves finding the expected deviation of the relative frequency of "1"s after N trials using the central limit theorem, which states that the sum of a large number of independent and identically distributed random variables will be normally distributed. The formula for expected deviation can be calculated using the standard deviation of a normal distribution and the standard deviation of the individual random variables.
PullMeOut

Homework Statement

consider an experiment with 2 possible outcomes, 1 and 0, with a priori probabilities p and
1-p. we would like to find out the average (expected) deviation after N trials, of the relative frequency of the "1"s, N1/N
Use the central limit theorem to find expected deviation.

Homework Equations

N1=[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{N}_{i=1}[/tex] ni , where ni is the outcome of the ith trial

The Attempt at a Solution

I know expected deviation of N1 is the square root of its variance.
and variance is:
[tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]=<x[tex]^{2}[/tex]> - <x>[tex]^{2}[/tex]

<x>=[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{N}_{i=1}[/tex]pi xi

but i have to use central limit theorem
[tex]\lim_{N \rightarrow inf } \left(N1/N)[/tex]

and I'm lost , the question looks so easy but i have no idea what to do?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for sharing your question. The central limit theorem states that the sum of a large number of independent and identically distributed random variables will be approximately normally distributed. In this case, we can consider N1/N as the sum of N independent and identically distributed random variables, each representing the relative frequency of "1"s in a single trial.

To find the expected deviation, we can use the formula for the standard deviation of a normal distribution:

\sigma = \sqrt{N} \cdot \sigma_{1/N}

where \sigma_{1/N} is the standard deviation of the individual random variables, which can be calculated as:

\sigma_{1/N} = \sqrt{p(1-p)}

Therefore, the expected deviation of N1/N after N trials would be:

\sigma = \sqrt{N} \cdot \sqrt{p(1-p)} = \sqrt{Np(1-p)}

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Central Limit Theorem Homework: Find Expected Deviation

What is the Central Limit Theorem?

The Central Limit Theorem (CLT) is a fundamental concept in statistics that states that as the sample size increases, the sampling distribution of the mean of a population will approach a normal distribution, regardless of the underlying distribution of the population.

How is the Central Limit Theorem used in calculations?

The Central Limit Theorem is used to determine the expected deviation of a sample mean from the population mean. This is done by calculating the standard deviation of the population and dividing it by the square root of the sample size. This value is known as the standard error and is used in formulas for confidence intervals and hypothesis testing.

What are the assumptions of the Central Limit Theorem?

The Central Limit Theorem assumes that the sample is randomly selected from the population, the sample size is sufficiently large (typically n ≥ 30), and the observations in the sample are independent of each other. Additionally, the theorem holds true for both continuous and discrete data.

How does the Central Limit Theorem impact real-world applications?

The Central Limit Theorem has many practical applications in various fields such as economics, psychology, and biology. It allows researchers to make inferences about a population based on a smaller sample, which can save time and resources. It also helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of statistical analyses and conclusions.

Are there any limitations to the Central Limit Theorem?

The Central Limit Theorem assumes that the sample size is large enough and that the population has a finite standard deviation. If these assumptions are not met, the theorem may not hold true. Additionally, the theorem only applies to the distribution of sample means and not to other sample statistics, such as the median or mode.