Catching a Ball Thrown at 30 m/s: Solving the Physics Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the speed at which a person must run to catch a ball that is thrown straight up in the air at an initial speed of 30 m/s. The quadratic formula is used to determine the time taken for the ball to reach the ground, which is then divided by the distance the person must cover to catch the ball. However, there is a discrepancy between the calculated speed and the one given in the physics book. The potential source of error is identified and clarified, and the correct equation is discussed.
mikefitz
A ball is thrown straight up in the air at an initial speed of 30 m/s. At the same time the ball is thrown, a person standing 70 m away begins to run toward the spot where the ball will land.

How fast will the person have to run to catch the ball just before it hits the ground?

Ok, I have used the quadratic formula to come up with my Time (6.99 seconds) and then divided it into 70m, and came up with 10.00m/s for the V of the person. This is incorrect per my physics book.

I'm thinking the problem occurred on the -x part of this equation:

http://physics.webplasma.com/image/page05/kin07.gif

I put 0, since the ball didn't move anywhere - all it did was go up and down. Any ideas where my source of error occurred at? Thank you so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming you started with the equation [itex]s = ut + \frac{1}{2}at^{2}[/itex], I solved this equation and found t to be equal to 6.12 seconds. You may want to check your arithmetic. Your method looks good to me. Nice presentation btw :smile:

hmm, you are correct. What is 'u' supposed to represent again? I thought I had these formulas down - apparently not.

mikefitz said:
hmm, you are correct. What is 'u' supposed to represent again? I thought I had these formulas down - apparently not.
u in my equation is equal to your v0 or initial velocity. Apologies for the confusion I should have stuck to your convention.

Related to Catching a Ball Thrown at 30 m/s: Solving the Physics Problem

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a ball thrown at 30 m/s?

The velocity of a ball thrown at 30 m/s can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (in this case 0 m/s), a is the acceleration (in this case due to gravity, which is 9.8 m/s²), and t is the time it takes for the ball to reach its final velocity.

2. What is the acceleration of a ball thrown at 30 m/s?

The acceleration of a ball thrown at 30 m/s is 9.8 m/s², which is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth. This means that the ball will accelerate at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared towards the ground.

3. How long will it take for the ball to reach its final velocity of 30 m/s?

Using the formula v = u + at, we can rearrange the equation to solve for time (t). So, t = (v - u)/a. Plugging in the values, we get t = (30 - 0)/9.8 = 3.06 seconds. Therefore, it will take 3.06 seconds for the ball to reach its final velocity of 30 m/s.

4. What factors can affect the velocity of a ball being thrown at 30 m/s?

The velocity of a ball being thrown at 30 m/s can be affected by factors such as air resistance, the angle at which the ball is thrown, and the density of the air. These factors can either increase or decrease the final velocity of the ball.

5. Is it possible for a human to throw a ball at 30 m/s?

Yes, it is possible for a human to throw a ball at 30 m/s. Professional baseball pitchers can throw a ball at speeds exceeding 100 m/s, while the average person can throw a ball at around 25-30 m/s. However, the time it takes for the ball to reach its final velocity will depend on the strength and technique of the person throwing it.