Car Passing Truck: Solving for Time Required

• Thread starter Toranc3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Truck
In summary: In particular, you can say that the car's initial position is 24m in front of the truck's initial position, and its final position is 26m in front of the truck's final position. The acceleration doesn't change much - it's still the same for both the truck and the car - but the initial velocities do. In particular, the car starts at rest, so its initial velocity is zero. The truck also starts at rest, so its initial velocity is also zero.In summary, the driver of a car wishes to pass a truck by accelerating at a constant rate of 0.600 m/s^2. The car starts 24m behind the truck and eventually pulls back into the truck's lane
Toranc3

Homework Statement

The driver of a car wishes to pass a truck that is traveling at a constant speed of 20m/s. Initially, the car is also traveling at 20m/s and its front bumper is 24m behind the trucks rear bumper. the car accelerates at a constant 0.600 m/s^2 , then pulls back into the trucks lane when the rear of the car is 26m ahead of the trucks front. the car is 4.5m long and the truck is 21m long.
a.) how much time is required for the car to pass the truck?

Homework Equations

x=xo+vo*t+1/2*a*t^(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Car:

xc=xo+vo*t+1/2*a*t^(2)
xc=20m/s*t + 0.300m/s^(2)*t^(2)

Truck:

xt=xo+vo*t+1/2*a*t^(2)
xt=49.5m+20m/s*t

xt=xc

49.5m+20m/s*t=20m/s*t + 0.300m/s^(2)*t^(2)

I get t=12.8 seconds but the answer is 15.9seconds. What did I do wrong?
I equated the equations to find out when they are both at the same position.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's how I would do it:

Treat the rear of the car as x0. The total distance it has to cover is its own length, plus the 24m, plus 21m (length of truck) plus the additional 26m before it pulls into the truck's lane.

Now initially they're traveling at the same constant velocity so you can treat it as if they're both initially at rest. So then all you have to solve is:

[tex]x_f=\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
[tex]75.5=0.3t^2[/tex]

Which should give the desired answer.

Toranc3 said:
xt=49.5m+20m/s*t
Where did the 49.5 come from?

You'll find it a little easier to work in the truck frame, so you can ignore it's motion, and set the car's initial speed to zero.

tms said:
Where did the 49.5 come from?

You'll find it a little easier to work in the truck frame, so you can ignore it's motion, and set the car's initial speed to zero.

I set my origin at the rear of the car, which is how I got 49.5m for the truck. Can you explain more on working the problem in the trucks frame? Thanks!

Toranc3 said:
I set my origin at the rear of the car, which is how I got 49.5m for the truck. Can you explain more on working the problem in the trucks frame? Thanks!
Choose the frame in which the truck is at rest. Since it is traveling at a constant speed, it stays at rest in that frame, so it can basically be ignored. Since the car and truck start at the same speed, it also starts at rest in that frame.

Using such a frame just makes the calculations a bit easier.

Related to Car Passing Truck: Solving for Time Required

1. How do you calculate the time required for a car to pass a truck?

The time required for a car to pass a truck can be calculated by dividing the distance between the two vehicles by the relative speed of the car and the truck. This will give you the time in hours that it takes for the car to pass the truck.

2. What is the relative speed of a car passing a truck?

The relative speed of a car passing a truck is the combined speed of the two vehicles. This can be calculated by adding the speed of the car and the speed of the truck together.

3. Can you determine the time required for a car to pass a truck if you only know the distance between them?

Yes, you can still calculate the time required for a car to pass a truck if you know the distance between them. You will also need to know the relative speed of the two vehicles. Once you have this information, you can use the formula: Time = Distance / Relative Speed to calculate the time required.

4. How does the weight of the truck affect the time required for a car to pass it?

The weight of the truck does not directly affect the time required for a car to pass it. However, the weight of the truck can affect the speed at which it is traveling, which in turn can affect the relative speed between the car and the truck. This may result in a longer or shorter time required for the car to pass the truck.

5. What other factors can impact the time required for a car to pass a truck?

Other factors that can impact the time required for a car to pass a truck include the size and length of the truck, the road conditions, the weather, and the speed of other vehicles around them. These factors can affect the relative speed and the distance between the car and the truck, ultimately impacting the time required for the car to pass the truck.