Capillary action with elemental Selenium

In summary, the conversation is about designing an experiment to convert elemental selenium gas to liquid using capillary tubes and a pump. The person is asking for information on the necessary material and inside diameter for the capillary tubes, and another person suggests checking out an old paper that describes the use of a Ubbeholde type viscometer for this purpose.
taylaron
Gold Member
Greetings PFers.

I'm designing an experiment that needs to take elemental selenium gas at 500K at 120 PSI to a liquid form at any temp and pressure. I would like to use capillary tubes in conjunction with a pump to convert the gas to a liquid.

However, I'm having difficulty finding information on capillary action when using elemental selenium. Primarily, what material do I need to use and what inside diameter. Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me a tip?

Thanks!

-Tay

Chemistry news on Phys.org
check this paper out. its old but they used a Ubbeholde type viscometer. they describe capillary diameter and material.

http://pdf.lookchem.com/pdf/22/a1b705c8-6144-41d3-b35d-064da1267259.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Capillary action with elemental Selenium

1. What is capillary action?

Capillary action is the movement of a liquid through a narrow space or tube, against the force of gravity. It is caused by the adhesive and cohesive forces between the liquid and the surface of the tube.

2. How does capillary action work with elemental Selenium?

Elemental Selenium is a non-polar liquid, meaning it does not have a strong attraction to other substances. Therefore, it experiences weak adhesive forces with the surface of the tube. As a result, capillary action is not as strong with elemental Selenium compared to polar liquids.

3. What factors affect capillary action with elemental Selenium?

The diameter of the tube, the surface tension of the liquid, the adhesive and cohesive forces between the liquid and the tube, and the angle at which the tube is placed all affect capillary action with elemental Selenium.

4. Can capillary action with elemental Selenium be used for any practical applications?

Yes, capillary action with elemental Selenium has been used in inkjet printers to control the flow of ink, in microfluidic devices for precise fluid control, and in chromatography for separating mixtures based on their capillary action rates.

5. Are there any limitations to capillary action with elemental Selenium?

One limitation is that elemental Selenium has a low viscosity, meaning it flows easily. This can make it difficult to control or manipulate in certain applications. Additionally, capillary action with elemental Selenium may not be as strong or predictable as with polar liquids, making it less suitable for certain experiments or processes.