Capacitor Polarity: Determining Polarity Visually & Beyond

In summary, an electrolytic capacitor can be determined by its resistance when hooked up in both directions. It can also be identified by a dielectric absorbtion pattern when hooked up backwards. If the cap fails, it will explode.
steve9983
How can you determine the polarity an electrolytic capacitor (if it is indeterminable from a visual inspection)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Use your DVM. Measure the resistance both ways -- you'll get basically an open circuit (or charges up to an open circuit) measurement when you match your +/- DVM leads to the +/- of the cap. You'll get a different reading when you measure it backwards, because you'll get a small leakage current and a couple of volts across the cap. I just tried it in the lab and got a negative resistance with two different DVMs -- I'm not sure where the negative sign is coming from, but whatever.

Look on the datasheet for electrolytic caps, and they'll list a reverse leakage current at some reverse bias. Always use a high impedance source (like a DVM, or a power supply with a 10K Ohm resistor) when doing this kind of measurement. Hook an electrolytic cap up backwards to a low impedance power supply, and you'd better be wearing safety glasses! Boom.

berkeman said:
... I just tried it in the lab and got a negative resistance with two different DVMs -- I'm not sure where the negative sign is coming from, but whatever...
Did you discharge the cap after the first measument?

dlgoff said:
Did you discharge the cap after the first measument?
Yeah, I tried that. Then tried a 2nd capacitor in the reverse polarity first. I'll have to figure this out sometime (no time now). Thanks, -Mike-

berkeman said:
Yeah, I tried that. Then tried a 2nd capacitor in the reverse polarity first. I'll have to figure this out sometime (no time now). Thanks, -Mike-

What you are seeing I believe is caused by dielectric absorbtion. Try a circuit with a lower source impedance than what your DVM has in ohms range.

It is possible that it is a bi-polar cap so orientation is not important. Unless it is really old polerised electros almost always have a stripe running vertical on the case or horizontal for an axial, indicating the negative side. The positive side always has a longer lead.

frogdogbb said:
It is possible that it is a bi-polar cap so orientation is not important. Unless it is really old polerised electros almost always have a stripe running vertical on the case or horizontal for an axial, indicating the negative side. The positive side always has a longer lead.
Not always. I've seen some mislabeled electrolytics. Yikes. Always wear your safety glasses when you power up a new circuit...:eek:

What happens when an electrolytic cap fails? Does it explode? Does the aluminum combust or oxidize? Are there any pictures of what happens?

rachmaninoff said:
What happens when an electrolytic cap fails? Does it explode? Does the aluminum combust or oxidize? Are there any pictures of what happens?
Yeah, big pop/boom. I'm not sure of the mechanism, but I've been there when it happens. That's one of the reasons that electrolytic caps have scored metal tops -- to help aim the blowout.

Just for fun -- We have a poster on the wall in my lab, called the "Doctor Destructo" poster. We have blown up parts and pictures of blown up instruments pasted to the poster. We only have a couple blown up electrolytic caps taped to the poster, though. More caps would pull the poster off the wall...

Last edited:
Polarized Electrolitic caps use a Electrolitic solute as the dielectric for the two internal metal plates. When powered up with correct polarity it forms a non-conductive oxide on the positive plate. When you reverse the connections, the dielectric oxide film breaks down and allows very high currents to flow thus heating the capasitor and forming a gas by boiling off the water in the electrolytic. The gas expands and blows the capasitor's casing.

Hint: Never use a polarized cap with pure AC without using a DC polarizing voltage across the capasitor.

Related to Capacitor Polarity: Determining Polarity Visually & Beyond

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material.

2. What is capacitor polarity?

Capacitor polarity refers to the direction of the electric field within the capacitor. It is important to determine polarity in order to correctly connect the capacitor in a circuit.

3. How can I visually determine the polarity of a capacitor?

The polarity of a capacitor can be determined visually by looking for markings on the capacitor itself. The positive terminal is usually marked with a "+" symbol, while the negative terminal may be marked with a "-" symbol or a stripe.

4. What if my capacitor does not have any markings?

If your capacitor does not have any markings, you can use a multimeter to determine polarity. Set the multimeter to measure resistance and touch the positive lead to one terminal and the negative lead to the other. If the resistance is low, the leads are correctly connected. If the resistance is high, reverse the leads and the resistance should be low, indicating the correct polarity.

5. Are there any other methods for determining capacitor polarity?

Yes, there are other methods for determining capacitor polarity, such as using a diode tester or a circuit diagram. It is important to always confirm the polarity before connecting a capacitor in a circuit to avoid damaging the component or the circuit.