Can't understand the Fredkin gate well

• Thread starter James LeBron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gate
In summary, the Fredkin gate is universal because it can be used to implement a NOR gate, which can then be used to build any other logical function. This can be achieved by using two Fredkin gates, with one acting as an inverter and the other as a switch. The inputs for the NOR gate should be set as A on top of the first gate and B on top of the second gate, with I1 and I2 set as 1 and 0 respectively on the first gate. This allows for the correct output to be achieved depending on the inputs A and B.
James LeBron
I'm having trouble understanding why the Fredkin gate is universal. I am getting nowhere when I am trying to build a NOR gate, which would prove that the Fredkin is universal.

(There's 3 inputs, C, I1, and I2)

Technology news on Phys.org
I believe you can implement a NOR gate using only 2 Fredkin gates.

Hint: use one of them as an inverter. You implement that by doing ...

And then the other one must be a ... And you implement that by doing ...

Thanks for the response. I actually figured it out earlier, since I was confused as to what the inputs meant at first. I thought that inputs A and B that were to be NOR-ed together were the bottom 2 inputs (aka I1 and I2 that I said on the first post) on the gate. But it's actually better to have input A be on the top of the first gate, and then input B on top of the second gate.

Then, for inputs I1 and I2 on the first bottom gate, set them as 1 and 0, respectively. That way, we pass on "A-not" to the second gate (If A = 0, it passes 1; If A = 1, the Fredkin gate switches I1 and I2 to pass on 0 to the next gate) as I1 (for the second gate), with I2 (for the second gate) being 0 and the second "true" input B being the top of the second gate. This way, if B = 1, then the second gate's I1 and I2 switch to pass on 0. If B = 0, then the output depends on "A-not". If A = 1, then it passes 0, which it should. If A = 0, then it passes 1, which it should, since a NOR is only true if both A and B are 0.

And you are right, only 2 Fredkin gates are necessary.

Related to Can't understand the Fredkin gate well

1. What is the Fredkin gate?

The Fredkin gate, also known as the controlled-SWAP gate, is a reversible logic gate used in quantum computing. It is a three-qubit gate that swaps the second and third qubits if the first qubit is in the state |1>.

2. How does the Fredkin gate work?

The Fredkin gate operates by applying a controlled-SWAP operation on the second and third qubits, with the first qubit acting as the control. If the first qubit is in the state |0>, no operation is performed. If the first qubit is in the state |1>, the second and third qubits are swapped.

3. What is the significance of the Fredkin gate in quantum computing?

The Fredkin gate is an important gate in reversible computing, as it enables the implementation of classical reversible logic functions. It can also be used to implement quantum algorithms such as the Deutsch-Jozsa algorithm and the Grover's algorithm.

4. How is the Fredkin gate different from other quantum gates?

The Fredkin gate is a reversible gate, meaning that it can be inverted without loss of information. This is in contrast to non-reversible gates, which can result in information loss. Additionally, the Fredkin gate operates on three qubits, while many other quantum gates operate on one or two qubits.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Fredkin gate?

The Fredkin gate has potential applications in quantum cryptography, error correction, and quantum algorithms. It is also being studied for its potential use in building quantum computers and implementing quantum logic operations.