Canada Universities - Nonlinear Optics -

In summary, the person is seeking recommendations for universities in Canada with strong research labs in nonlinear optics. They mention the University of Ottawa and the University of Toronto as potential options, with a specific mention of Prof. Robert Boyd's work at U of O. They also offer to provide information about Brazil and Portugal if needed.
Luis MG
Dear forum colleagues,

I'm looking for universities which have a good research lab in the field of nonlinear optics, located in Canada.
Can you please give me some hints or contacts?

PS: If anyone need information about Brazil and Portugal, please don't hesitate and just ask! ;)
Luis

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're looking for nonlinear optics, I've heard great things about the university of Ottawa, and the University of Toronto. Note that at the U of O, Prof. Robert Boyd, who wrote the standard textbook on nonlinear optics works there, and I think has an impressively large group. Beyond that I can't really say.

Related to Canada Universities - Nonlinear Optics -

1. What is nonlinear optics?

Nonlinear optics is a branch of physics that studies the interaction between light and matter in materials that exhibit nonlinear optical effects. These effects include phenomena such as frequency doubling, self-focusing, and optical parametric amplification.

2. What are some applications of nonlinear optics?

Nonlinear optics has a wide range of applications in fields such as telecommunications, laser technology, and medical imaging. It is used in the development of optical devices such as frequency converters, optical switches, and nonlinear microscopes.

3. What are some of the top universities in Canada for studying nonlinear optics?

Some of the top universities in Canada for studying nonlinear optics include the University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, and McGill University. These universities offer programs in physics, engineering, and optics with a focus on nonlinear optics research.

4. What skills are necessary for studying nonlinear optics?

Strong mathematical and analytical skills are essential for studying nonlinear optics, as well as a solid foundation in physics. It is also important to have good experimental and computational skills, as well as the ability to think critically and creatively.

5. What opportunities are available for researchers in the field of nonlinear optics?

There are many opportunities for researchers in the field of nonlinear optics, including academic positions at universities, research positions in government or industry labs, and opportunities in the private sector. With the growing demand for advanced optical technologies, there is a high demand for experts in nonlinear optics.