Can you tell me if this amp design will work

In summary, Billy is trying to build an amplifier and is facing some challenges. He has high end Mercury Magnetics transformers that he is hoping will help, but he also needs to adjust some things due to the transformer's phase shift. He is also working on the channel switching and is hoping to have it up and running by the 28th.
Planobilly
Hi,
I am struggling with this a bit. I think this will work but I am not sure. Can you guys take a look and see if I have made any obvious mistakes. The B+ voltage should be around 480 VDC loaded. I am still working on the channel switching.
http://[ATTACH=full]200152[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]200153[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]200154[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]200155[/ATTACH]

Thanks,

Billy

Attachments

• PLAIN]%20[Broken].png
    PLAIN]%20[Broken].png
    23.7 KB · Views: 237
  • FUjaVbS.png
    FUjaVbS.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 237
  • gGAbcPx.png
    gGAbcPx.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 270
  • FUjaVbS.png
    FUjaVbS.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 221
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry . I posted the preamp section twice and don't know how to remove it. Here is the PA.

k9sRuNR.png

Output transformer secondary 'T' is floating, it has only one feedback connection, is the other terminal grounded?

No ceramic bypass caps on the LM7805 regulator. It will howl at the moon.

The LM7805 has no reservoir capacitor.
The LM7805 needs a minimum input of 7.5VDC but it has only 6.3VAC.
6.3VAC * Sqrt(2) = 8.9 volts peak, less two diode drops of 1.1V each, in bridge = 6.7 volts
You have run out of voltage headroom. Regulator will always be in drop-out.
Headroom decides value of reservoir capacitor. C = I * dt / dVripple

Edit: Or is that secondary 6.3-0-6.3 giving 12.6VAC without showing the CT ?

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes the other terminal is ground, just not shown. I will go back and take another look at the LM7805 issue. I may have to adjust several things because I bit the bullet and ordered high end Mercury Magnetics transformers. $658.00 plus the shipping from Cali to Florida. MM is pretty pricy. I was shooting for around 480 to 500 VDC loaded.
All the parts should arrive next week by Tuesday.
I ordered a blank chassis so I got some machining to do also.
I am trying to have this up and running and debugged by the 28th. Lots of work ahead.

Cheers,

Billy

The ISOLATE GRD is connected to Ground thru R72, R73, and the rectifier bridge.

With the values shown, the filter caps C34, C35 will result in 1.5Vpp ripple to the preamp heaters.

Last edited:
The whole complex around V6 and the feedback loop makes me go "unstable!" Exactly where (physically) are you connecting the output transformer secondary to ground? That detail could be the difference between "motorboating" and silent when no signal is present.

Again, I would never design an amplifier without current feedback in the output tubes (at least do a DC feedback to stabilize the thing). I am also extremely wary of designing a feedback from the transformer secondary due to the phase shift in the transformer. My favorite feedback in the output stage is to the g2. Take a look at http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/driverpa.htm

Thanks so much guys. I am at the Dr. with my wife ATM and will respond later this evening.
Life is in full session today...lol I will never get use to typing on a cell phone...lol

Related to Can you tell me if this amp design will work

1. Will this amp design produce high-quality sound?

The quality of sound produced by an amp design depends on various factors such as the components used, circuit design, and build quality. It is difficult to determine the sound quality without actually building and testing the amp. However, if you have chosen good quality components and followed best practices for circuit design, the amp is likely to produce high-quality sound.

2. How much power will this amp design deliver?

The power output of an amp design depends on the power supply used and the components chosen. It is important to select components with appropriate power ratings to achieve the desired power output. Additionally, the efficiency of the amp design will also affect the power output. It is recommended to simulate the circuit or consult a professional to determine the power output of your amp design.

3. Can I modify this amp design to suit my specific needs?

It is possible to modify an amp design to suit your specific needs, but it requires a good understanding of circuit design and the function of each component. Making changes without sufficient knowledge can result in a non-functional or even dangerous amplifier. It is recommended to consult with an experienced professional or thoroughly research before making any modifications.

4. How do I know if this amp design is safe to use?

The safety of an amp design depends on various factors such as component ratings, circuit design, and build quality. It is important to select components with appropriate ratings and follow best practices for circuit design to ensure safety. Additionally, it is recommended to have the amp design tested and approved by a professional before use.

5. What is the estimated cost of building this amp design?

The cost of building an amp design can vary depending on the components used and their quality. It is recommended to research and compare prices of components to get an estimate of the cost. Additionally, it is important to consider the cost of tools and equipment required for building the amp. It is always better to invest in good quality components to ensure a reliable and high-performing amp design.