Can You Learn Thermodynamics and Propulsion with These Course Notes?

In summary, the conversation is about a set of course notes on propulsion, which reference two texts on thermodynamics. The speaker expresses appreciation for the notes and hopes they will make up for a lack of expertise on the forums. They also ask for the mathematical expression for a diesel engine and comment on the notes being helpful for learning.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
I hope this stays around.

http://web.mit.edu/16.unified/www/SPRING/propulsion/notes/notes.html

Texts referenced in the course notes.
VN: H.C. Van Ness, Understanding Thermodynamics, Dover Publications, 1983; and
SB&VW: R. E. Sonntag, C. Borgnakke, and G. J. Van Wylen, Fundamentals of Thermodynamics, John Wiley Publishers, 1998.

Geez I used Van Wylen and Sonntag 30+ years ago. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Nice notes. There seems to be a lack of expertise in this area on the homework forums. Hopefully these notes will make up for it.

Thanks sir for the webpage. You are very kind.

may i know the mathematical expression for a diesel engine i don't know how engine hows expression -theta*s and auctuator is equal to 0n3 divide by torqueplus one

very nice notes for learning

Related to Can You Learn Thermodynamics and Propulsion with These Course Notes?

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the relationships between heat and other forms of energy, such as work. It studies how energy is transferred and transformed from one form to another, and how it affects the properties of matter.

How does thermodynamics relate to propulsion?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in understanding propulsion systems, as they involve the conversion of energy into motion. The principles of thermodynamics are used to analyze and design engines and other propulsion systems, such as rockets and turbines.

What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The three laws of thermodynamics are: 1) Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. 2) The total entropy of a closed system can never decrease over time. 3) As a system approaches absolute zero, the entropy of the system approaches a constant minimum.

What are some common types of propulsion systems?

Some common types of propulsion systems include: rockets, jet engines, gas turbines, and electric propulsion systems. These systems use different methods to generate thrust and propel vehicles through the air or space.

How does the second law of thermodynamics relate to propulsion efficiency?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system can never decrease over time. This means that some energy will always be lost as heat in the propulsion process, reducing the efficiency of the system. Engineers must consider this law when designing propulsion systems to maximize efficiency and minimize energy loss.