Can You Graph Cosine and Sine Functions? A Guide for Beginners

In summary, the process for graphing a function involves working from the inside out. First, graph the base function. Then, shift the graph left or right depending on the value of c. Next, stretch the graph horizontally by a factor of b and vertically by a factor of a. Finally, shift the graph up or down by d units. In the case of y=-2+2cos0.5x, the graph would be shifted 0.5 units to the right, horizontally stretched by a factor of 2, and vertically stretched by a factor of 2. The final result would then be shifted down by 2 units.
PHK
I need help on graphing cosine and sine functions. i know how to read a graph and come up with the equation but i don't know how to do it the other way around. i want to be able to graph something like y=-2+2cos0.5x

Physics news on Phys.org
For any function in general, where [itex]y= a \cdot f( b (x-c) ) + d[/itex], to graph it we work from the inside out.

So first graph f(x) as normal. Then move that graph c units to the right. If it is (x+c) instead, then c units to the left.

Then squeeze the shifted graph by a factor of b times horizontally. If like in this case, its less than 1, write it in the form 1/b (b is 2 for your example). For when its in the form 1/b,
then stretch it by a factor of b times horizontally.

Then stretch the whole thing vertically by a factor of a. If a is negative, also flip the graph upside down. Similar thing, if a is less than one, rewrite the coefficient as 1/a. Then squeeze vertically by a factor of a.

Now just must that up by d units, or if d is negative, down d units.

Its really must easier to put into practice and to understand than it looks.

For this one, get the normal Cosine graph, stretch it horizontally by a factor of 2. Eg where the normal cosine graph first intercepts the x-axis at pi/2, it is now at pi.

Then, stretch it up and down by a factor of 2. So all the points that it is 0 stay the same, where they are 1 they becoming 2, and where they were -1 they become -2.

Now just shift that down by -2. So where they were -2, it becomes -4, and where they were 2, it becomes 0.

=]

thanks i got

Related to Can You Graph Cosine and Sine Functions? A Guide for Beginners

1. How do I plot a cosine and sine function on a graph?

To plot a cosine and sine function on a graph, you will need to first determine the range of values for the x-axis. Then, use a calculator or mathematical table to calculate the corresponding values for the cosine and sine for each point on the x-axis. Plot these points on the graph and connect them with a smooth curve to complete the graph.

2. What is the period of a cosine and sine function?

The period of a cosine and sine function is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs on the graph. For the cosine function, the period is 2π, while for the sine function, the period is also 2π. This means that the graph will repeat itself every 2π units on the x-axis.

3. How do I find the amplitude of a cosine and sine function?

The amplitude of a cosine and sine function is the distance between the midline and the peak or trough of the graph. To find the amplitude, divide the range of values on the y-axis by 2. This value will be the amplitude for both the cosine and sine functions.

4. Can I graph a cosine and sine function without using a calculator or mathematical table?

Yes, you can graph a cosine and sine function without using a calculator or mathematical table by using the unit circle. The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 and is centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. The x and y coordinates of a point on the unit circle correspond to the cosine and sine values, respectively, for that point. By plotting points on the unit circle and connecting them, you can graph a cosine and sine function.

5. How do I graph multiple cosine and sine functions on the same graph?

To graph multiple cosine and sine functions on the same graph, you can use different colors for each function or use a legend to differentiate between them. Additionally, you can shift the graphs vertically or horizontally by adding or subtracting a value from the function. This will create a new graph with a different amplitude or period.