Can the TI-89 Titanium Solve Symbolic Equations and Compute Specific Values?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titanium
In summary: Merry schnappsmas to you too!In summary, the conversation discusses the capabilities of the TI-89 Titanium calculator, specifically its ability to manipulate symbolic equations and solve for variables. It is recommended to thoroughly read the manual and consider if the calculator will be allowed in exams. It is also suggested to download additional tools for enhanced functionality.
Saladsamurai
It says (the TI site) that the TI-89 Titanium can manipulate symbolically and what not. Well I just have 2 quick questions:

let's say I punch in some equation like [tex]\frac{dE}{dt}=\dot{Q}-\dot{W}+\sum_i\dot{m_i}h_i-\sum_e\dot{m_e}h_e[/tex]

1.) I could somehow select W (for example) and the calculator would know to solve the expression symbolically for W?

2.) I could then input numerical values for all of the other variables and it would give me the numerical value of W?

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Anyone have this calculator?

Seriously, answer me. Please :smile: So I can buy it for myself for X-mass.

I don't know but I think you are asking for way too much ...

I wouldn't rely on calculators for these things

but I see that it does solve DEs
http://www.rowan.edu/open/depts/math/HASSEN/ODE/TI89_for_ODE.pdf

and this says that it can solve for one variable
http://ti-89.org/forums/post-97.html

then there are always limitations.. these equations need to be dumb simple

(I only used it in grade 12 only.. now I have casio fx. It do many conversions and has constant values and solve simple algebraic, quadratic, cubic equations, etc, .. and had it for about 15$)

Last edited by a moderator:
Asking way too much? All I want to know is if I punch in a+b+c=d can the calculator return that a=d-b-c

and if d=1
b=1/2
c=1/2

Can I input those and have it tell me that a=0.

I don't think that is too much... or is it? I have never rellied on calculators to do algebra. But as an engineer entering his junior year, I am sick of doing algebra :smile:

Saladsamurai said:
Asking way too much? All I want to know is if I punch in a+b+c=d can the calculator return that a=d-b-c

and if d=1
b=1/2
c=1/2

Can I input those and have it tell me that a=0.

yep, I think so .. see that thread:

"you can use solve() function to do it (in algebra menu), put the equation first, then a comma, the the varible you want to isolate. in your example, it would be: solve(x+y=z,x) and it will return you x=z-y. Similarly, if you want isolate y, put: solve(x+y=z,y) and it will return you y=z-x"

I thought you wanted something like
df/dt = Q(t) + W(t) + sigma (f(t)) + sigma (z(t))

I been using casio for my engineering ...

I would recommend going through all the TI manual:
http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/productDetail/us_ti89ti.html?bid=6

and comparing it to what you will be doing.. and if your TI calculator would be allowed in the finals.

Cools! :smile: thanks for the links!

Saladsamurai said:
Seriously, answer me. Please :smile: So I can buy it for myself for X-mass.

Yes, I own one (for ~4 years now), and yes, it will do what you want (use the solve, nsolve, and desolve functions). Also, if you get it, download http://www.ibiblio.org/technicalc/packages/mathtools/main.htm" and install it on your ti.

Merry schnappsmas. :cool:

asdfggfdsa said:
Yes, I own one (for ~4 years now), and yes, it will do what you want (use the solve, nsolve, and desolve functions). Also, if you get it, download http://www.ibiblio.org/technicalc/packages/mathtools/main.htm" and install it on your ti.

Merry schnappsmas. :cool:

Nice, thanks for the tip!

Related to Can the TI-89 Titanium Solve Symbolic Equations and Compute Specific Values?

What is a TI 89 Titanium calculator?

The TI 89 Titanium is a graphing calculator produced by Texas Instruments. It is designed for use in math, science, and engineering courses and includes advanced features such as graphing, computer algebra system, and programming capabilities.

What are some of the key features of the TI 89 Titanium?

The TI 89 Titanium has a large display screen, built-in USB connectivity, 3D graphing, and the ability to solve complex equations and systems. It also has a large storage capacity for programs and data.

Can the TI 89 Titanium be used on standardized tests?

The TI 89 Titanium is not allowed on most standardized tests, including the SAT, ACT, and AP exams. However, it is allowed on some college entrance exams, such as the GRE and GMAT.

How do I transfer programs and data to the TI 89 Titanium?

You can transfer programs and data to the TI 89 Titanium using a USB cable or by using a computer software program, such as TI Connect. The calculator also has the ability to transfer files wirelessly with other TI calculators.

What are some common troubleshooting tips for the TI 89 Titanium?

If your TI 89 Titanium is not functioning properly, try resetting it by removing the batteries and reinserting them. You can also check for software updates, clear the memory, and make sure you are using the correct input and syntax for your calculations.